Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member/Owner questions 208 transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by edreid, Jun 17, 2006.

1. edreid

edreid Registered Member

just bought a 88 k-5 earlier this year and got it running i have a few questions on the tcase

I am assuming it is a 208 that is stamped on the rear of the case and looking in the manual it says this is a chain driven setup and from the outside looks similar the the book

mine seems to leak on the seam of the case on the passenger side there is no crack but near the leak is looks like someone may have tried to separate the two with a screwdriver so that may be the cause can i just very cheaply and easily slap someithing on there to make it stop?

if not can i remove just the back part of the case still in the truck do i need to drop it out and how hard is that? looks like an alloy of sorts, is it heavy?

also i know of one that was recently refurbished for $200 would that be the better idea? i am told new chain and internals

How reliable are these cases? mine already has 149,000 on it how much longer will it last? if i lkook to replace should i get a different type?

thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

pics?

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Since Mongo used a screwdriver to force open the case, who knows whats inside. To repair the cast aluminum case properly, you should open it. Never opened mine, and it looks like its been serviced, truck has 185Km. I've had it out with a trans swap, I think it would be easiest out of the truck.
    Clean the gouge completely, butter it up with two part epoxy, file it down to the original shape/flatness.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 208 weighs about 80 lbs empty of fluid. It is a pretty good case IMHO. I use one in my truck and I beat it up pretty hard. It has been a good case for me. Just don't run it low on fluid and don't let it hit hard objects. The case is aluminum and might crack with hard impacts.

Pull your case down out of the truck and seperate the case halves. If everything inside looks good then reseal the case and reinstall it. If it doesn't look good you might buy that other case. $200 for a case that has been rebuilt/serviced is a damn good buy.

When you reseal the case make sure the edges are clean and oil free. Use RTV to seal it up and let the RTV set up a couple hours before you fill it with fluid. Wet RTV and ATF don't really work well together.

Harley

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I would assume its been opened before and may have been rebuilt, you can split the halves on the truck but its much easier when its out to reseal and use a torque wrench and you should be fine.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Going rate for 208's on here are around $100 or so. I wouldn't spend too much time. Buy a replacement, and just swap it out in an afternoon. You can swap it in and out yourself no problem.

7. edreid

edreid Registered Member

thanks guys for your advice in and out in a afternoon is not bad i think i will try to pull it out and seal it.