Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new member....pic included..couple of questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by epurdy2005, Jun 7, 2006.

1. epurdy2005

epurdy2005 Registered Member

Okay I just bought this 1982 k5 blazer....Got a good deal on it mostly because it was really dirty i think:rolleyes: ...It had a sticker on it for some 4 wheel jamboree in Lima, OH in 2005....Has a rebuilt 350 with an edelbrock carb...Thats about all I know...Runs great.....But anyways...first question.......What grill is that? I can't find any other blazer with the same grill....It looks theres a blank headlight space beside the headlight....but the newer ones have one below...i dunno..whoops i guess you cant really see the grill in that picture..Anyways it has one headlight in the grill area and the turn signal in the bumper and thats it

This was after a long day of cleaning
    [​IMG]

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

looks like ya got some rust there to fight with, try to get that other pic up so we can see the grill. nice truck though those 36's?

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Looks to be an 82 grill

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice truck, welcome aboard!!!!

The Silverado has four small headlights, the Custom Deluxe has two larger ones. I have two '82 pickups, one Silverado, one CD. The turn signals get full of muddy water, is my only complaint about the bumper lights.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

cant see the pic from here... work blocks it...
    but here is what my 1982 front looked like...
    [​IMG]

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the 83-84 basic frontend , I.E worktruck . Its definitely the 83-84 grille center , and single headlight support and bezels .

The fact your truck is 3 different colors means it probably hit something at one point ...... or NJ rusty :D

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I might be working in Kokomo, IN later this month so Let me know if you need any help

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is a pic I have on my puter of different grill styles. I'm not sure of it's accuracy, but it may help.

[​IMG]

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The only difference I can offer is SOME 80 models got round headlights . Don't know if it was a carryover , or if non Silverados got round headlights . But I have seen a verified 80 with round headlights :thumb:

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I was wondering if there were maybe some trim level differences through the years.?

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When I was a kid we a had a 1980 C20 3+3 Silverado and it had round headlights so maybe it was a carryover.

Ira

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

there are always exceptions to the rule

13. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

glad to have ya aboard. wow, I have not seen the "first" post from someone in a long time. sounds................so virginal, but now you got your cherry poped and soon you will become a thread and post whore like the rest of us. you will see, it will happen. :D :haha: :p: nice blazer by the way.

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

actually the way it works....

my bro bought the truck on the left... (round headlights) for $250... this is back in 1989 and we didnt know how nice his truck was.... d60 front, np205, 14bolt ff, gmc k30 plow truck..... he then bought what I now own... for $250 adn took the cab, front clip.
    I took the leftovers and gave him $150 for the remains....
    I then added a cab ($100)
    front clip ($75)
    bed was messed up.. my bro bought a new bed.. so I combined them...

my truck comprised of 8 junkyard trucks.... :haha:

for NJ rust.. you should see my truck ... mostly 1982, 1987 body parts.. but almost 0 rust.. and frame is virtually rust free.. my neighbors 97 expedition has more rust on the frame than I do :wink1:

anyways..this is a slow connection but good reading on my buildup.. really funny....
    http://68.36.135.34/rootbreaker.htm

goto picture gallery then first link...

notice the 2 different bed sides colors.. tailgate was different too!!!! :crazy:

15. epurdy2005

epurdy2005 Registered Member

Not sure what size the tires are........Yea its rusty but alot better than i thought it would b e...I'm just looking for something to go mudding with mostly....
    Thanks for the image of all of the grills!...Guess it is normal...Mine is the 81-82 with just one headlight. i just couldn't find any other pic of a blazer with just one headlight..And yes thats one thing i need to do is take those front turn signals out because theres rust all inside there I think.

By the way can somebody give me a step by step of putting it in 4 wheel drive an taking it out? I want to make sure I don't break anything. I've never even owned a 4x4 so everythings new to me...I'm 19 years old by the way :D
    Its automatic and has lockouts on the hubs too

THanks for the offer jekquistk5..I'm not sure what I need to work on first though.

16. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Put the transmission in park and get out and turn the hubs to "lock".
    2. Can now drive as usual (in 2wd). When 4wd is desired, you can theoretically just shift the transfer case into 4 high while driving any speed. I like to slow to at least under 35 mph before engaging the t-case.
    3. When 4 low is needed, stop the vehicle completely and put the transmission in neutral. Put t-case in 4 low.
    4. Reverse these processes to return to 2wd.
    Note: after shifting from 4 high to 2 high, you may need to "unload" the drivetrain by quickly letting off the accelerator or even stopping and backing up a few feet.
    And lastly, these instuctions are normally on a sticker located on the underside of one of the sun visors.

17. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

Divorced,that's a cool pic.I got two '87's V-20s.One has the headlights like your pic with two headlights stacked over each other and the turn signal inboard in the grill.The other has the single lo/hi beam headlight with the turn signal directly below.They're both original grills/headlights but I'm not sure if trucks were different from k5s.BTW one is a Custom Deluxe and the other is a Scottsdale,that may be the difference.