Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member - what order do I start the project?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidGarner, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DavidGarner

DavidGarner Newbie

Just bought a 1975 K5 Blazer - mechanically sound but a lot of cosmetic work to do - do I start with interior? exterior? does it matter?
    Body is in good shape (no dents) but I will need 2 front fenders (rust), all new trim, hood does not close properly, paint, windshield, side mirrors, and even more on the interior. Just looking for some guidance from someone who has done this before. Thanks

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What do you plan to do with the truck? That will determine where you need to start. A post like this in the "garage" section will get many more responses.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thread moved to the Garage.

Rene

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to CK5! Like Leper says, what's your plan. Think very carefully and be honest with yourself! There's no point kidding yourself that your going to do mud drags and spend thousands going in that direction if you're really only going to do a bit of muddy wheelin' where a lower slung, high torque motor would be better.
    No point making your rig beautiful if you're going to bounce it off every rock in sight.
    If it's going to be an on-going project while you drive, then you need to get the mechanicals and driveline sorted first so it's reliable and safe. Then when you have a build direction, sort your suspension and mod the driveline again. If you have the funds do the wheels tyres too along with diff gears.
    It's possible to build your truck into whatever you want if you know where you're going and do it methodically so it's not laid up for months at a time.
    And you're in the right place to learn about every aspect of your rig!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Start by saving money. Lots of it. And read everything you can. Then do what Mark said and make sure that you have a plan.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

avoid the "Im gonna do a full frame off build up" mentality. it is a killer of progress. the next thing you know your rig will have been sitting on jack stands for three years or more (like mine) and it will and does suck. do a little at a time while driving it. if you want to do a major part swap get every single part you will need to do it before you park it and put it on jacks to do a swap.

then get it done asap and get it back on wheels and drive. it till the next part is ready to go on.

unless you are rich and have virtually every available minute of the day to do nothing but work on your truck you will find progress slower then you would like. with work, lack of funds, kids if you have any and dont want to totally ignore them plan on a little progress at a time. my new, 4 years ago tires will probably be dry rotted before I ever get them on my rig :mad: :( , have fun.

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5. If I were you, I would fix the little things that can be fixed with out spending money at first. Get to know your truck. Read everything you can.

Get a game plan, probably the most important thing you can do. You can spend tons of money, and then change your mind and spend tons more money. Having a plan helps to prevent this.

The more time you spend here the more ideas you will get. Some of the things you will see on this site are short of incredible, so be careful:D .

Try to use the search function. Some times it is hard to weed out what you are looking for. (Some guys get bent out of shape if silly questions are asked)

If you can not find what you are looking for with a search, ask questions. That is what this place is here for. Remember you will be talking to people from all walks of life and all over the world. What I would think would be best and what someone else from another part of the world may be two totally different things.

8. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    :haha: i feel your pain my friend :haha:

agreed. build as you wheel. decide what you want to do with your rig first. why are you going to put in that sweet looking turquoise LMC carpet kit if you're gonna be taking it out to the local mud bog every weekend.