Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New member with a 'new for me K5'

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gunstar, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Gunstar

Gunstar Newbie

Hello all,

I have just got a 1989 Chevy Blazer and I wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions from people that know.

1. I have hub cover failure and wanted to know what could have caused it? Is it just fatigue or could something have hit it from the inside. I've removed this cover, but nothing seems to be amiss.
    PICT0282.JPG

2. The previous owner removed the oil cooler and plugged the lines with what appears to be 5/16" bolts. There are no leaks, however I'm a stickler for detail and wanted to fix this. What's the easiest way--aftermarket or junkyard for a new cooler? When I do replace the cooler where can I find lines that fit? Are the lines that exit above the oil filter NPT?

3. The truck runs rich, but I'm not sure why. I can't find an oxygen sensor so I assume that it doesn't have one. If this is so, can the throttle body be adjusted or could it be a more sinister problem such as a vacuum leak?

I'm very inexperienced at working on my own vehicles, but would love to learn how to fix this truck myself. I appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks! :laugh:

PICT0282.JPG

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome aboard .............James (79stomper) is from your neck 'o the woods! :wink1:

1. I go with manual lock outs.........I busted three of the auto ones before going manual. IMO
    2. Summit Racing is one of the best sources around! IMO
    3. Dun't know............I like carbs.........I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S.!!!

Kool handle............:D

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First of all welcome aboard. I see your from Alabama, where about? I am originally from outside of Montgomery.

As for what caused the hub failure, could be a number of things. Could be weak casting. Something could have gotten jambed inside the u joint and got pressed while trying to turn. If everything on the inside looks fine then go ahead and replace them. I would suggest a set of manual lockouts. I have never been a big fan of the automatics. Always had problems with them.

As far as the oil cooler, I would just buy another one and re-run rubber lines. Of course it depends on where they are coming from, whether from a spacer on the oil filter or elsewhere. I don't think I have ever seen one from the factory with an oil cooler unless it was a diesel. Maybe its an aftermarket tranny cooler? Or could be an aftermarket oil cooler, in which most have a spacer between the block and the oil filter.

Not too familiar with the TBI so I will let someone else chime in on that one. ANd again welcome aboard, you found a great site to be a part of. It gets addicting after a while.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The o2 sensor should be on your exhaust manifold unless it's had headers installed. You need the o2 if your running TBI injection. Are you getting any warning lights (ALDL)?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

#1 = manual hubs is best.

#2 = remove stock filter / cooler unit. and grab a junkyard stock filter only adaptor with the shorter bolts. i think there is a gasket also. you wont need the cooler. thay dont realy do much.

#3 = what exaust manifolds or headers. and if it has a o2 it would be left /drivers side manifold / header.

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My 86K5 has a factory oil cooler that is run from the spacer on the oil filter.

Id get another cooler and rerun the hoses. Not sure how much the help but they sure as heck dont hurt.

7. Gunstar

Gunstar Newbie

79Stomper:
    I live in Pelham, just south of Hoover. I'll look into a set of manual lockouts as you suggest.

jiminycricket and sweetk30:
    No, no warning or check engine lights. I've looked all over the exhaust manifolds and I see nothing that is readily apparent as an oxygen sensor.

Drivers Side Pic:
    PICT0285.JPG

Perhaps I'm blind or more possibly just don't know what I'm looking at.

Thanks for the help. :)

PICT0285.JPG

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First bit of advice, don't just throw parts at problems. Simple, yet often way overdone. Do a good visual inspection of the wiring, sensors, etc., see if anything is bad, disconnected or out of place, etc.

If you go with another O2 sensor, take the trouble of getting another AC Delco one. They work, no question.

If the oil cooler lines are plugged with bolts, I'd expect them to be damaged. As I recall, where the cooler line threads into the oil cooler adapter (piece above the filter) is actually a brass or similar style metal fitting, which is then threaded into the aluminum body of the adapter. Either way I doubt the bolts were the exact fit, but maybe you got lucky. Definitely check that out first.

If you end up getting lucky, typically hydraulic hose places can make lines for a lot cheaper than GM sells them, but I believe you need both ends so they can put new hose in between. Used hoses are a bad idea IMO, only the older ones (braided stainless the entire length) appear not to leak as easily as the later rubber hoses.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If its an 89 K5 with the tbi then its definitely got an oxygen sensor. The 02 sensor is located at the very bottom of the drivers side exhaust manifold where it bolts up to the rest of the exhaust. TBI vehicles get their measurements from the 02 sensor readings...and adjust from there. If you dont have an 02 sensor then the truck will run like crap and spit a lot of codes at you. You may want to look into getting another 02 sensor. It could be that yours is simply dead. They arent hard at all to replace....and should be replaced every 60,000 or so miles iirc.

If you want to adjust the fuel pressure (which will richen or lean out the mixture)..you can easily buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You will also have to buy an inline fuel pressure guage to see what your working with. www.cfm-tech.com will be able to help you with those parts and a lot of relevant information to help you as well. Even with an adjustable regulator, I have found it is hard to get the mixture right. Its either good at idle and too lean at wot, or too rich at idle and good wot, or too lean all around. Some people opt for vacuum pressure regulators to help this problem but I dont know much about them to give any solid advice. Check out cfm tech's website and you will find a ton of useful information, the parts you need, and some good power upgrades for the tbi engine. Im very pleased with my cfm-tech parts.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    -Harrison

11. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

There is a gasket set and it costs around $5 at the local parts store. There was a paper type filter that went above and one that went below the oil filter adapter and my oil lines had O rings.

12. Gunstar

Gunstar Newbie

The damage to the hub cover in the picture was caused by a loose spindle nut. The bearing spindle nut had its pin sheared and had backed off causing the lock washer and lock nut to back off. This put pressure on the automatic hub and thus broke the hub cover.

After replacing the spindle nuts and lock washer, which were nearly impossible to find, I found what appears to be damage to the spindle threads. I managed to get the recommended torque on the spindle nuts, but only time will tell if it will hold.

On a side note I did take the advice and replace the automatic hubs with manual hubs. The side with no damage was very easy; the hardest part was removing the old hubs. However the side with the damage took several days of trouble shooting and parts gathering. A much longer process than what I had hoped. But it's all back together and hopefully it will hold. :crazy:

I did actually manage to find the oxygen sensor, and it appears to be an original. Would replacing this as regular maintenance be recommended?