Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Member....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MrBob, Jul 27, 2000.

1. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

Recently purchased a 1986 K5Blazer for my 16 year old (to get him out of an MG Midget death trap) and we have a few questions. paid $900 for a non rusted good runnig vehicle with decent paint and interior that needed cleaning only 305 engine with 195,000 on it and the only oil leak I can see is from a valve cover at the oil "tube" on the cover (where oil is put into the valve cover) We replaced a non functioning water pump and have a oil pressure guage that doesn't register. the valves do not clatter excessively which leads me to believe that the oil is getting to the valves/tappets. I intend to start easy and replace the oil pressure unit on the engine this weekend, to see if that makes a difference. the truck runs good except for this problem. How worried would ya'll be about this problem? next I have electric windows and the drivers side is not moving despite hearing the motor work. Can I purchase a real honest-to-God shop manual for this vehicle or are we stuck with the Chiltons/.Haynes books. these two books pretty much (especially the Chiltons) refuse to discuss too much AC stuff (well..Haynes does some) and not any electric widow problems at all, ie troubleshooting these problems. We know that we really have stolen this vehicle and have a ton of plans for it. How lucky for a 16 year old, eh? Bet ya Dad re claims this when he gets outta high school. I just wanted him in something tuff and safe rather than the sardine can he was riding in.

thanks and looking forward to corresponding with everyone.

Bob Hollingsworth
    Red Springs N.C.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hey, and welcome, this the best blazer site you'll ever find. To answer your question about electric windows, mine did the same thing. Turns out the motor put so much torque on the regulator that it sheared off the bolts. So the motor would run but the regulator stayed put. Take the panel off and check it out. Go to http://www.chevyduty.com for a factory service manual. I'm sure your son will enjoy the K5, I know I do.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

3. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to say Welcome...everyone here is very helpful. I am still learning this stuff myself, but Congrats on the getting the Blazer. You kid sure is lucky, and if you are lucky you will get it back when he gets out of HS....

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Listen...Just cause I'm a nice guy I'll give you $1000 for the truck and just take it off your hands :) EVEN with a blown engine, if the truck was rust free you stole that truck! Down here in Atlanta a rustfree 86 depending on appearence and paint will fetch and easy $4k. Get a cheap mechanical pressure gage from the parts store and check the pressure before buying senders and such. The lower main bearings are a big cause of low oil pressure problems and those old V8 will not rattle lifters till there is only 1psi. I drove my 79 for a year with only 3 psi at idle and never made a sound from the lifters. Would only pull 15psi on the hwy.
    With that sort of millage you just may want to get rid of the engine. You can get a NEW (not rebuilt) 350 for $1200 with a 50k warranty from GM.
    Welcome aboard

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Cant really help you with the oil-sender unit but here's a pic of the door insides:
    [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

6. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

thanks Espen.....appreciate it. Bought chiltons and Haynes and now plan to buy the real shop manual as soon as $90 come available.

Bob

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have had these doors open 3 times. My window was sloooooooow. so I tore apart the door and took out the regulator/motor and degreased it with a power-washer. Then I cleaned the gunk out of the motor, replaced everything with fresh grease. It flew upp and down.!
    Here's a step by step if it helps:
    1. Remove the door trim. the clips along the top of the pannel is best accesed from the outside with the window down. Dont worry about bending them they will still give a tight fit if you loose a couple..
    2. the biggest hole on the upper corner is were the regulator and motor enters and exits. Remove the bar thats infront of it.
    3. take of the 4 bolts/nut's holding the regulator(see pic.)
    4. now slide the regulator left-right to free it from the sash-channels.
    5 Twist it 90 degrees out of the hole.removing the electric connection when you have it upp from the dark alitle.
    6. Sling it on the grass like the snake it is. Get degreaser and a scrubb. Remove the motor. and get hosing!
    7. clean the connection. Put only the motor back on and testdrive it.
    The spiral-spring on the regulator could be rusted stuck. Soak it for a while til it snaps back..
    When you follow this it will become selfexplainatory(SP!) what is wrong. You will see chipped teeth or regulator out of sash-channel or bent from previous owner attempting something..or whatever.
    The stupidness off this patent is that rainwater, roaddust and wd-40 runs right on the regulator and motor. In 10-12 years it is a wonder it workes at all.

Hope I helped some. If not feel free to e-mail me.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

8. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

MrBob

I see you are in N.C. me to I live in Rocky Mount.

it is nice to see some more guys form NC up here, there are a few of us up here.

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

9. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

MrBob,
    Can you tell me where you can get the shop manual for the K5? Thanks
    Bennevis
    82'K5

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

11. MrBob

MrBob Registered Member

try the site mentioned above..I beleive it's the same manual they gave the new H S grads that they hired in the shops so a college educated dummyt like me ought to be able to follow it just fine. got one for my son's MG and it tells you how to find the gas station and use the john when you get there, it's so thorough. Hope these are the same....

Red Springs, N.C.
    "I ain't responsible for my crappy typin' or spellin'"

12. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the manuals.

Bennevis
    82'K5