Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FunBlazer, Jul 30, 2002.

1. FunBlazer

FunBlazer Registered Member

Just bought a 88 FS Blazer, with a 3" lift and 32-11.50-15 BFG'S. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I don't know if I'll do any real major rock climing with it, but it'll deffently see it's fair share of off roading. I am also a member of NastyZ28.com(Camaro site), has anyone been to that site?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome
    pls fill out your prfile and send in your dues /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. FunBlazer

Since I'm new here, don't shoot me for asking, but how come everyone is running the 14 bolt rears and dana's? Aren't the 8.5 rears spusto be pretty strong(for most general off roading)??

5. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Aren't the 8.5 rears spusto be pretty strong(for most general off roading)??

[/ QUOTE ]

In stock form they often don't tolerate 31's and paved parking lots. They can be upgraded and made to live with 35's, but going 3/4 ton is so much less hassle for a much stronger diff IMHO.

Rene

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not trying to barge in on your post, but since you are on the topic of new members and all, will someone please tell me what TTT means since I'm fixing to be a member shortly.

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

To The Top /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Bruce!

It's funny cause I read a lot of the car-specific magazines "Chevy High Performance" and "Car Craft"... I often laugh when I see them talk about the "bulletproof 12-Bolt Axle" or referring to 3.73 gears as "deep gears"!

It's kind of a different world, and trying to correlate car stuff to the truck world isn't always going to work well. Trucks are HEAVY compared to cars, so the motors that seem HOT in a car, will not move a truck very quickly. A Camaro with a 25" diameter tire may feel fast with 3.73's, but put those gears in a truck with 35" tires, and it's a DOG (trust me on that one!)

BIG tires put a lot of strain on axles, transmissions, and engines. Good gearing helps a lot, and with the availability of inexpensive (and STRONG) 14 Bolt rear ends, you'll see a lot of guys going that way here.

If we all had our choice, we'd be running the 1-Ton front axle too (Dana 60), but those are neither common or cheap....for most of the folks here, that's the "holy grail" part that they are always looking to find for $100 in a junkyard.

Anyway, that's a few ideas for you. Welcome aboard, there's plenty of expert information on this list so all you have to do is ask.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. FunBlazer

I knew that trucks are more abusive on parts, but what your saying is that my diffs won't hold up very long? I have stock gears(what ever it came with) and 32-11.50's, I already know the 700r4 is gonna be a weak link, but I'm not planning on being as rough as other members. What do you guys think about doing the welded spider gears in a 8.5 front axle, I wouldn't do it in the back, but your seldom in 4wd on the street. oh yeah what do you guys think about the auto hubs?? Sorry for all the questions its my first truck, I've always been a car guy, now I have both,(guess i better get a second job) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Welcome!!!!!!!!! Right now my 90 is stock but will eventually have 1 tons under it and be sitting on 33's. My hubby wants to be able to have the stronger axels to use mine as a tow vehicle to get his from here to the trail and home again.

11. tRustyK5

Welding the front would probably assure it will grenade a front axle or axle U-joint sooner than later. It might live for a while with 32's but very few people own these truck for long without stepping up the tire size.

I prefer welded rear and open front until I find my 'holy grail' D60 front (LOL @ Greg!)

Rene

12. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

about auto hubs, i have them right now and will change when time and money comes around, they can refuse to shift in or out of 4wd and freeze up, now mine are being a kick in the crotch cuz they wont lock out whenever i shift from 4lo, i dunno y, but i would go with the warn premium manuel hubs, around $100 and from what i hear, easy to install.

13. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Greg72's post pretty much sums it up. I ran the open 10bolts for some time in my 89 with 32s and everything was fine. Mostly just on road use, but I did romp it pretty hard every now and then and take it on a few fairly easy trail runs (and never got it stuck) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Blazers actually do suprisingly well in stock form (compared to other stock trucks). The auto hubs were a pain though. Sometimes it was hard to tell if you were really locked in or not and having to back up to release them is a bit annoying (but tolerable). Finially, towards the end of their life they started to engage automatically even when I wasn't in 4 wheel drive while braking. This was very scary as the truck would start jerking. That's probably the first thing I'd recommend replacing. Warn Premium Hubs are around $80 and very easy to install.

My 2 cents is to drive the truck in stock form for a while and see if you are bitten by the 4x4 bug. If you are, then you will start thinking about tires, lift, lockers, etc. At that time you'll probably want to replace the rear end anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And by the way, I'd consider the 10bolts more of a weak link than the 700r4. Anyone else agree/disagree?

14. FunBlazer

Like I said before I have always been a muscle car guy (Camaro's) and this is my first truck /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , thats why I'm here to learn new stuff about trucks and 4-wheeling. I's funny in cars the 700R4 isn't the best tranny(except for the low first gear, and overdrive) and 8.5's are pretty strong. I guess I got a lot to learn about trucks, I have already had problems(yesterday) /forums/images/icons/confused.gif with the damn auro hubs, they locked in just as you said while braking, It scared the beejesus out of me /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Does anyone plow with there Blazers?? I got a plow with mine. How much of a lift can you get away with before getting a drop pitman arm??

15. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

HowDo! And Welcome!
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif