Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New metal for the floor you thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Aug 15, 2006.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Hey folks well I killed any chance of getting my 77 sub running this year. I pulled the carpet back in the cargo area, and yuckko. Looks like it rotted from the top down.

So I guess I will pull it all out. The supports look and feel solid. I plan to get a sheet of 16-18 guage metal to lay down for a new floor. The wells are good and and the inner walls are good. So I'm thinking get a piece 2" wider and a few inches longer to come up the side a little for welding or bonding and wrap over the front edge.

Does this sound like a good plan??? Can this metal be bent with a hand tool?? It doesnt need to be pretty just solid. Also, should I rustolium the unded side of it first.

thanks
    bob

2. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

The guy at the shop is talking me into 20guage if I want to bend the lips myself with a hand tool. 6' x 5' is like $70

bob

3. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you can on a burb, but in my blazer my floors were toast too with the supports still there. So I went out and bought a good looking floor out of a k5 in someones back yard for $50. I cut out mine just enough to leave me 1" all the way around so I had a lip to set the new floor on. I just took my donor floor and put it on top and welded it in. It was nice because I was able to keep my stock holes for the floor and what not. I put over a rubber mat and the thing looks like it was born there. In my opinion it has worked great and I'm very happy with it.

4. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

I agree that would be best, but up here there's no way I'll find anything decent. Trust me I don't want to do any more work that necessary. Some of the floore is solid so it might stay but some spots are like newspaper.:(

I couldn't find pre-bent floors for the burb or I'd spend the money and go that route. if it was under $300.

thanks for the thought, I'll watch maybe I'll get lucky.

bob

5. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I haven't done the math, but have you checked out LMC?

And you're right... ain't nothing up here is gonna be worth taking from another truck.

6. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Looked more than once and the numbers just didn't add up. Maybe I'm nissing something or I'm looking at blazer or truck parts??? but I would need the 3 thaey have listed and it still seems short. hopefully someone will chime in thats done this.

My rear measured ~70" across (or 60" well to wall) and ~ 72" front to rear. I believe they would have fit across but came up short front to rear I'll look again.

bob

7. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Chevy duty has long bed halfs. that seem reasonable I wonder if they can be cut to fit???

bob

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

20 gauge steel is like paper. Don't waste your time.

I'm replacing my rusted-out floors with 1/8" diamond-plate. :D

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Unless you can bead roll it you are gonna need something thicker than 20 gauge. If you can't bead roll it I would use 16 gauge