Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Jun 21, 2005.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

It is time to start work on my v10.
    I want to put on a set of 35x12.5 on 15x10 wheels using 3/4 axles. Here lies the question how much lift will I need to keep the fenders un cut and still be as low as I can.

This truck is going to tow, so I do not want height to be a factor of control. I rember reading that 3/4 10 bolt front is wider than a 1/2 ton front, so with that extra width and my 15x10's how high will clear and not rub?

2. REDCRO_REDNECK

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

4in will keep you uncut, 3/4 ton front should be the same as a 1/2 ton front, both still being wider then their rears.

what are you towing with your blazer?

if you plan to tow another rig you might want to think twice.

4. REDCRO_REDNECK

I am towing a blazer framed truck, hay, antique tractors, anything else. What should make me think twice about towing with my truck??

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Assuming its a blazer you are gonna tow with, they are too short to be a good tow rig. Im sure its possible but you will get LOTS of sway and it may not be safe?

6. REDCRO_REDNECK

it is not a blazer it is a truck hence v10 not v 5, I know my set up is not perfect but it works good.

7. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

There is no appreciable difference between the 3/4 ton D44 and the ½ ton D44 or AAM 10 bolt (which only came in ½ tons) in width or beefiness. AFAIK…. All of GMs live front axle trucks’ wheel base is around 3” wider up front than the rear (except for duallies).

You should be able to run 35x12.50s on 15x10” wheels w/o rubbing with 4 inches of lift. I say “should” b/c I’ve run that same setup w/o rubbing, but I’ve herd others say they have… never actually saw this for myself though.

I’m reluctant to tow anything heavy w/ a Blazer cuz of the short wheelbase. As for trucks… if I were doing a lot of towing I’d opt for a ¾ or 1 ton truck w/ a full floating axle, a TH400 / 4L80E (or better) tranny and a motor a little more up to the task… like a high cube small block, big block, or diesel. But, like most of us, money (or lack of) dictates that we must make due w/ what we have…. :mad:

Also, make sure you get a tire w/ the ply rating capable of handling the weight of what you are going to tow; this especially important with larger tires. And make sure you run the recommended air pressure when towing (i.e. don’t tow w/ the tires aired down to trail riding pressures)!

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

What kind of truck is referred to as a V10 and or V5?

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

the actual designation for my Jimmy is V1500.... :blush:

10. REDCRO_REDNECK

v 10= 1987 half ton 4x4

assumed v5= 1987 blazer 4x4

11. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

the insurance refers to my 91 (k5) blazer as a V10...there were no V5s as far as i know. i thought the V designation went to the 88-91 classic body style trucks, K5s assumed the v10, k20s to v20s, k30s to v30s...I though that EVERYTHING 87 and before was still K series stuff...oh yeah, those were all 4x4s.

if you are gonna tow with a half ton, just take it easy. they aren't the best towing vehicles. make sure to get some heavy rated tires and all that stuff...

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

v10 can be refferd to as a blazer also i assumed thats what you meant

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

C/K was through 86. 87 and 88-91 old bodystyle, were R/V. I made my username before I knew that, hence why I am K20 and not V20 lol.