Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New motor broken in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lasvegas, Feb 10, 2002.

1. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to share with people who like this stuff. I finished my one ton axles and ZZ4 crate motor installation and spent the last month or so wrapping up the loose ends and breaking in the motor. Today, I changed the oil and went to nearby pit with some long steep loose gravel climbs and rapped the motor up (like a moron) to 5500 and climbed the hills a bunch of times. It was pretty fun but I think all the suburbanites walking their dogs down in the pit did not like the noise . . . because they left.

2. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

Damon--I just broke my new motor in last weeked also we went to wheeler pass up through the hills in to parump and down 160 to lovell canyon road and came out in the loop at redrock and back in to vegas.-- The break in procedure that gm recomends is 2500 rpm for the first 1/2 and to go on the highway and give it two or three bursts to 5500 rpm and let it idle to a roll and burst it one more time and change the oil and give it normal driving with no major load on it.I got this break in from there web site.I do like the way mine runs soooo much better than the 6 cyl.

1977 k5-blazer4"pro comp lift 3.5 in rear dana 44,12 bolt rear, 350 &,205 t-case,465 trans,flotech headers and mufflers

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

As long as the cam (if new) was broke in at 2000 RPMs for around 20 minutes steady you should be okay. Myself, I always believe in breaking in an engine the way you will be driving it. I ALWAYS break a cam in right though or it will cause you problems down the line.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>