Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New motor is in...now tranny isn't shifting right

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Aug 17, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

New motor is in...now tranny isn\'t shifting right

Went from 350TBI to 350 carbed Vortec, with 700 tranny. Has alot more power, I'm really gonna like that....I'm not exactly sure what a slipping tranny sounds like, so I'll just explain what's happening. From a stop, I start moving, doesn't matter how fast or slow I'm going, when it comes time for it to shift to second, it never does, until I let off the gas. Then it shifts just fine...I've got a Holley carb so of course I had to modify the bracket for the TV cable. Anybody know of a way I can adjust this shifting problem?

2. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

Re: New motor is in...now tranny isn\'t shifting right

It is highly probable that the cable still isnt adjusted right, to see if it is at least attempting to do its job, disconnect the cable at the carb and give it a spin, if it is not shifting period, then its simply out of adjustment - with this swap, how are you controlling OD and lock-up?

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont remember exactly how to adjust the cable for the TV. But basicly what you need to do IIRC is release the cable from the housing where it attatches to the bracket and pull the cable back. Then GET IN THE TRUCK and mat the gas pedal. This will adjust the cable to the correct length. On my TH350 I just had to push a button on the cable housing and pull the cable back. I dont have a 700 TV cable here to look at to tell you for sure how to release it. And make sure you press the pedal to set the cable. Thats what I stressed it. I adjusted mine several times and got no difference by opening the carb up by hand. Just press the pedal to the floor slowly, no harder at the bottom than you would driving it. If you push too hard itll just make the pedal sink into the carpet and youll have to push that much harder to make it kick down. (If a 700 has mechanical kick down that is, I have too much on my mind today to recall details at the moment) Hopefully someone will come along that knows how to release it.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What did you use to hook up the TV cable to the carb? The amount of motion for a given amout of throttle is a VERY critical relationship, or the tranny will soon need to be replaced. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif There are some aftermarket setups to make the 700R4 work right with a carb. Perhaps some of the carb folks can provide a pointer.

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Try this, adjust the TV cable as described above. Depressing the lock button and pushing the pintle all the way back. Depress the the pedal in the truck to the floor. Note where the adjustment is. Than depress the lock button again and slip the pintle back until it starts to cause the throttle not to open all of the way. come back out one click and make sure you can acheive WOT Wide open throttle. Usually that will get you pretty close to where you want it to be.

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Quick version....push the "D" shaped button. Grab the back of the cable as it goes into the housing. Pushing it forward "lenghtens" the cable and pulling back "shortens" it. Taking too long shift and to much downshiftings means the cable needs to be legnthened. Shifting too quick and requiring excessive throttle for downshifts means the cable needs to be shortened.

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I e-mail you the way to do this from what I got off the internet