Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Motor time!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 25, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I need to do something with my truck so I can DRIVE it, and replacing the motor seems to be the best option economically.
    I won't be doing a heavy off-road in the near future, so not looking for top o' the line performance. What should I look for in general? Is a rebuild on the current engine a better idea than having a different one installed? I can't really do it myself (although I'd love to , I don't have a GARAGE...) so I need to factor in labor a part of the cost.
    This is a whole new world to me, and I am starting to get hooked on it...thanks, guys, seriously!

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would go to your local dealer and pick up onr of their Goodwrench motors. They start at 1,200.00 for their 225 hp one. The good thing about it is it has a 3yr/ 36,000 mile warranty, which ever one occurs first. It is a long block. All you have to do is take it to a shop you trust and have them swap motors. I would put a new water pump on it if the block doesnt come with one (sorry dont remember) I would put new plug wires on it, and if anything is bad like the power steering pump I would have them put a new one on. I wont cost you anymore labor to do these because they would have to switch them over anyways. (I know this for a fact because I am a manager at a repair shop). As long as you have a ASE certified shop put the motor in, the warranty is good. Then if anything happens you just take it to the dealer and they have to fix it.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I second Desert Dualers post ....Get a new one....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, spend a little extra money and never look back !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big fan of the weenie stock replacement engine from GM. I also believe it less then 210 or whatever... nmor like 180 or 190. But anyways I say if you are gonna go through the expense of labor and such you first of all might as well get an engine that has a little bit of punch and will put a smile on your face rather then the boring stock motor. Most good engine shops can get you setup w/ a very nice 350 that will make approx 350 hp and more importantly have 350 to 425 ft lbs. of torque from about 1700 to 3000 rpm. (Basically the combo would be 9 to 1 compression, a 260-ish range cam, vortec cylinder heads, and an edelbrock intake) Even if you ordered up a short block and then added the components above you would only have approx 1500 or so in it. Seems like a nice step up for an extra 300 to 500 bucks IMO. You can also see what the shop has in mind. Most places easily can get a motor of this caliber built and installed for about two grand.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>