Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new motor/tranny maybe?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Dec 12, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

ok, so i have a 97 yukon with a tired 5.7 vortec and 127k hard miles. little things are starting to go bad, like the belt tensioner, valve cover seals, falling headliner, ripped seats, dash lights that work when they want to, etc. basically the little stuff that goes wrong on a truck thats been abused like this one. the motor knocks when its cold, and pings under load in higher gears or at higher RPMs. the tranny is solid, its not showing any signs of giving up the ghost (knock on wood), but i think that using it to tow 6,000 or 7,000 lbs of jeep and trailer isnt really gonna be great for it.

all of this has made me think about trading it for a 3/4 ton suburban, either a 87-91 or a 96-99, but i really cant afford the newer one, and the older one would probably have the same minor annoyances as my truck does (even though i could clear 36s with 4" on the old burb...:ignore: ). i want a 3/4 ton whatever it is, cause i have a new trail rig that should be ready in the next few months and a 20' boat that i use all the time in the summer. it also needs to be 4wd, because this will see a lot of beach use and random mud runs when i turn my brain off...

anyway, to get to the point, last night, i was talkin to a friend and he got me thinking about swapping in a new drivetrain. im thinking another 350, but maybe with a mild cam and with a balanced rotating assembly. i dont need stupid power, and i really dont want to have to modify my FI system. i dont know much about building motors, so gimme somethin to think about.

i also want to swap transmissions to a built 4L60, something like a TCI truck master or a bowtie overdrives stage II (that seems more performance oriented, rather than towing - is there much of a difference?). opinions here would be appreciated as well.

last but not least, i want to swap a 14 bolt FF rear end in. not a huge deal here, other than the 8 lugs vs 6 lugs up front. i know a 3/4 ton IFS swap isnt really feasible, so what's involved with converting the front to 8 lug? SAS would be ideal, but i dont really think thats a wonderful idea for something thats gonna be doing a lot of towing. i wanna run 4.10 gears, 33s, and maybe a good 4" lift.

so, to finish my book i just wrote, is this worth going for, rather than just buying a new vehicle? i love my truck, and if/when i get rid of it, im gonna bawl like a little kid. its not worth but $5k-$7k, so its not like i'd be able to sell it for $10k, and spend that money fixing up an old burb. i'd end up spending probably the same amount of money either way (i think), so what do yall think, worth doin, or is it a pipe dream?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

jeez, already on page 3? someones gotta have somethin to say about this...

3. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I DONT KNOW DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU LIKE OLD LOOK NEW LOOK/? 97 WOULD BE COOL IF YOU DID ALL THE UPGRADES BUT I PERSONALLY LIKE OLD STYLE 91 AND OLDER FOR OFFROADING. NOTHING WRONG WITH THE NEW STUFF BUT KEEP NEW STYLE FOR LOOKS OR MINOR OFFROADING PLUS ITS MORE EXPESIVE WHEN THINGS BREAK. PRE 91 JUST LOOKS MEANER PLUS CANT BEAT THE STRIAGHT AXLE. THNKS HOW ABOUT A REPLIE ON MY POST 88K5SHOCKS?:zhelp:

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

496!!!!!!!!

Now back to reality, Id say either a 355, or if have a little more money to toy w/, 383. You cant go too stupid on cam w/ your FI, but that could be remedied w/ a new chip, still injector limited however. As for the suspension stuff, idk, get on aim later, and we can discuss, 'engine options' hehe.

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status