Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new motor...white smoke...WTF!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Dec 21, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok theres about 1000mi on my new motor (gm 290hp 350) at idle if yuo look close enough there a bit of white smoke...when you accelerate theres more. WTF? i baby the motor for the first 4-500miles with obviously a totoal of maybe 5xs of actually rompin on it. lol. did i **** something up? or is this normal for a new motor and its just seating the rings?

HELP!

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does not sound normal.... Did you change the oil after break-in? What weight oil are you using and can you detect any loss/consumption? Does it puff smoke when you do a cold start?

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Condensation in the exhaust pipes maybe? Is this a mosquito fogger or just a little white smoke? Losing coolant or oil?

4. broncoman6524

um there is an oil leak...im pretty sure it came from a loose valve cover. i tighten it down about 15 ago and havent driven since. it would run down the pass side onto the started and fall on the d-shaft adn go everywhere. Its so little smoke that unless you are in neutral and are on the throttle it isnt noticable. it does it both cold and hot. I changed the oil after the first 500mi, havent done it again yet. and i ran 5w30.

i didnt think about condesation in exhaust...i havent noticed a drop in coolant level...just last night though it went from 60psi oil at 50mph to 45. maybe im just freakin out and being paranoid.:haha:

5. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Might be that it's just not broke in yet. I finally had to borax the cylinders on the rebuild in my boat to get the rings to scuff in completely - not for the faint of heart! These new moly rings can take 4-5 k to seat completely. Do check the coolant though! Leaking head gasket could be a baaad thing with the new motor. Did you use torque once head gaskets or do you need to re-torque them perhaps?

6. broncoman6524

i bought a long block from gm...i think its a long block. lol bottom end and heads?

7. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

leaking intake manifold maybe?

Are you loosing or mixing any fluids? If your loosing antifreeze could be intake or head gasket.

If oil it could be a bad set of rings.

8. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i think you might have answered your own question. you said you'd only romped on it about 5 times in the first 500 miles. i stuck a remanned 350 in the k5 several months ago, and they told me to "drive it like i stole it...within reason." it's been a while since i built one, myself, but that's what i basically did. didn't abuse them. i'd go really easy for about 50 miles, then start taking it on short highway cruises 5-10 miles @ maybe 50-60mph. after a few hundred miles of that, it's good. the one in my k5 only puffed for about the first 150 miles.

9. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i dont think that sounds normal at all. the only time i have ever heard of white smoke is when your antifreeze is getting into a cylinder some how.

10. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Exactly! It's not like the old days when parts were made of softer steel and you had to baby it the first thousand miles.. Chromoly takes a while to break in and seat well. Take er out and wheel her good or take a serious road trip. Watch your oil pressure and engine temp as well as the radiator level. If she heats up going down long grades or you start loosing coolant go home and pull the heads and check the gaskets. Who did the machine work on the heads btw. If they weren't properly decked that could be the problem if you are loosing coolant. Any signs of oil leaks on the sides of the block (other then the *$&@ valve cover gaskets) are also cause for worry.

Go romp her! Get it broke in and watch it and I think you will be OK.

11. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Ok, I dont know why you just dont go back to your GM dealer??? You have a 12 months or 12,000 miles Warranty!!! Why are you runing 5W 30 in it?? The 350ci 290hp calls for 10W 30??
    Crate Engines Start-up Instructions
    1.Always put safety first. If your car is on the ground, be sure the emergency brake is set, the wheels are chocked, and the transmission cannot fall into gear.2.Be sure to check the engine's oil level and prime the oil system.3.Run the engine between 2,000 and 2,500 RPMs, with no-load on the engine for the first 30 minutes.4.Adjust the distributor timing roughly by hand for a quick start-up and the smoothest idle possible. 5.Adjust the carburetor settings, if necessary.6.After the engine has been running for 30 minutes, set the ignition timing (see install ignition section for timing specifications).7.Drive the vehicle with varying speeds and loads on the engine for the first 30 miles. Be sure not to use a lot of throttle or high RPMs.8.Run five or six medium-throttle accelerations to about 5,000 RPMs (55 to 60 MPH), then let off in gear and coast back down to 20 MPH.9.Run a couple hard-throttle accelerations up to about 5000 RPMs (55 to 60 MPH), then let off in gear and coast back down to 20 MPH.10.Change the oil and filter with 10W30SG oil and appropriate ACDelco oil filter. 11.Drive the next 500 miles normally, without high RPMs (below 5,000 RPM), hard use, or extended periods of high loading.12.Change the oil and oil filter again.13.Your engine is now ready for many happy cruising milesCopyright©2003 General Motors Corporation

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that is almost word for word what my engine builder told me. I am on my 7th year with this motor.

after all that run the balls of it all you want. and I do.:D

13. broncoman6524

i went out and checked my oil bottle...its 10w40

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

run the piss out of it! sounds to me like your rings arent seated yet.

15. broncoman6524

10-4 once i fix my carb problems (too rich, and airhorn gasket is cracked bc im an idiot) LOL itll get to play in the mud! WOOHOO LOL