Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New motor...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle86K5, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well I am finally getting rid of the old, tired, oil leaking, smokin in the mornin, backfiring,son of a 6 cylinder 305 that presently resides in my 86. Looks like a crate motor just can't make up my mind on the 330hp 350...or the 383 with 325hp.....I wonder what the general consensus of opinion will be?
    Oh...Hi everybody!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, well...............Look who's here!!!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif How's it going, brother!!!!!!

Go for the 383- better jam all the way around. What's the difference in cost?

Nice to see you around again......./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would have to say the 383 if the cost isn't that much different. If you are talking GM 350 vs. 383, it is a tough call. The 383 makes better power, but the price tag is quite abit steeper then the 350. I guess it depends on your budget. Either motor will require a new intake manifold due to the use of vortech heads. So add some $ for that, and I have heard you need a new exhaust manifold too.(don't remember which side though).

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I like the 330 hp model at a cool 2200 bucks, the is quite a bit more expensive I think... about 4 bills? Sweet motor though.

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Not into Chevy gasser motors so i cant help you there. But welcome back its been quit awhile.
    rugger

6. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

No you don't need a new exhaust manifold for the Vortec heads.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Go for the 383 if you have the money, other wise get the 350.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Gotta love the 350 H.O. I made a copy of it only my motor has a little more cam and ARP everything so I can turn 6,500, haha. I know its overkill, but I wouldn't make anything over stock that didn't have 'em. It'll bark the tires w/ 3.08s /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I think GM's 383 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. I mean what did they do that's so special? They used a different crank and did a little clearancing, oooo, lets charge double now, haha. I betcha you could turn the 330 H.O into a 383 for less than a new 383. You have to watch those motors though for EGR is you need it to pass emissions. The ports on vortec heads for EGR are blocked off and as a result you won't be able to use it anymore. The intake is around $150 and you have to buy special gaskets that are about $20. Everything else should bolt up though. You'll need to rig up some new bracketry because the old one won't fit the new intake.

9. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Unless you just want to get a crate moter, go to any performance shop and they should be able to build you what you want for a lot cheaper. It might not have the same warranty, but if the shop is a good one, they will work with you if you have a problem. I had a tbi 383 built up to the max and I only paid $2,000 for the motor. I did have to pay more to get a new chip burned and headers, intake etc. I think my final cost was just under $4000 and they pulled out the old motor and put the new one in. This is just a thought.

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually I have checked with Pace Parts and they say they can supply vortech heads drilled for both the vortech and the older way. Not sure what is going to happen but that the 305 has to go...
    Part of me say's go for the 350 HO...then again 1300.00 for the universal 350/260hp is not such a bad deal either...