Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New motor's in, but won't turn over... Help please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, May 15, 2005.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I need someone to help me trouble shoot a wiring problem since I am RETARDED when it comes to wiring. I got the new motor in the Jimmy, got her all hooked up and ready to try and fire... turn the key... NOTHING!!! Anything that is wired direct to the battery works fine... anything that needs keyed power, like the heater, wipers, etc... doesn't work. SOOOOooooo, on the starter the main battery cable goes to the big post, then there are 2 wires that come off of the post and to the cab on the back of the fuse box. They have power all the way to the fuse box. That is where my trouble shooting ability for wiring ends!!! How do I tell if the ignition switch is bad???? Where else could the problem be?
    Thanks for any info!!!

2. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

First check the fuseable links going to the posts on the firewall just to the left of the brake booster. You should have +12VDC there.

James

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

fuses getting hot? any bad ones? , or do i need to come over there tomorrow night and figure it out for ya??

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yes Brad, please come over and fix it for me as I am cHalLenGde when it comes to wiring...!!!!

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't think I have any fusable links... my wires just go right from the starter into the back of the fuse box...?

6. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

yeah there should be a fusible link there, between the alternator and the ignition... it may be on the left side of the engine compartment, on my 73 it is above the distributor on my firewall, but on my 79 it is to the left of the power booster. im having a wiring nightmare currently in my 79... the stupid PO didnt even crimp a wire, he wrapped them around eachother, and covered them in electrical tapE!!!! not fun fixing their mistakes!

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Stupid question, but when you put the motor back in did you also connect the ground strap from the motor to the firewall and from the motor to the battery?