Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new mudbogger need advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by random, Jul 5, 2002.

1. random

random Registered Member

gettin started in this mudbogger action could use some tips on mods and tires.i have an 84 truck with 350 eng 400 trans np208 case.im runnin dana 44 and 12 bolt with 35 inch wild countrys and 4 inches lift.350 has cam idle to 5500 with performer intake and 600 vac sec carb.the pits we run in vary from 2ft to 4 ft.lookin to go a little further.ty in advance for any info !!!! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

If all this thing is going to see is mud then get some interco Boggers, stiffen up the suspension, get as much HP as you can and go for it. Try to get some headers, good tri-y's not shorties. What gears you running? You don't want to be real low geared in the mud, you need lots of power and wheelspeed /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When you guys run mud do you put it in 4 low and floor it or do you just put it in 4 high and keep it in first gear?

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

DEfinetly run boggers I run 38.5x11 I run 3.73 gears and 4 lo second gear most pits are 160 to 180 feet long so you won't need to shift. build your motor for torque you will always end up with more horsepower than torque anyways.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, Boggers are a must.

Even stiffen up the suspension if you can. If you have softride springs of some kind and do not want to shell out more cash to get some stiffer springs, just add another shock absorber or two to stiffen it up.

Ground clearance is another issue with mud. Since you mentioned a 4" lift and 35's, why not look into a 6" lift as it will get the bottoms of the frame rails up higher and away from the mud and ground. You don't want to bury the truck to where it will sit on the frame rails.

Lastly, try to do stuff to keep the engine bay clean. Like install some rubber flaps around areas where water and mud can splash up into the bay. Such areas would be the inner fenders where you can see thru at the exhaust manifold/headers. If you can shield this portion of the frame, you are keeping that much mud/water out of the engine bay. Water on the engine makes it dirtier and harder to work on especially if you have to tune the carb, etc. May want to look at some ideas on waterproofing and sealing up the distributor. Even the HEI's can still get drowned. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. random

random Registered Member

Hey thanks alot guys!!Suppose i can fit those 38.5s with my 4 inch lift and my cutout flares?Ijust put the 3.73s in before the last run and they worked great,took out 2.73s lol.Think ill have to go 4.11s for the 38.5s?Thanks again for the info!ran 4 lo at last run rpms stayed at 5grand wich worked great.
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

You don't need boggers to play in the mud. What you do need though is all four tires pulling all the time. Install locking differentials in the front and rear. I like the Lock Right cause it is cheap and easy to install. Mine work very well.

I also have a set of 35" Wild Country mudders, but I also run a set of 38x12.50 TSL Swampers. These work insanely well in almost every terrain. If you do go with a more aggressive tire, I recommend these rather than the Boggers. I think they are a more versatile tire and they tend to last longer as well.

8. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, keep those wheels as straight as possible to avoid front axle joint failure.

You will want to have a fair supply of shafts as they get destroyed when the steering u joint fails. Or just get the chromoly alloy axle shafts and super u joints.

9. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

How did I know red would beat me up on the boggers yet again I just love mine though red I even have video of a guy set up just like me with the 38x12.50's and I chewed him up but I will go with they will last longer (reg swampers) than the boggers unless you only run them in mud then either will last for a very long time.