Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW NEWS! 465 32 spline and NV4500 with Doubler

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stephen, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I know quite a few of you have been wondering what to do with the 32 spline SM465 to do a Doubler, so we played around with the parts here this morning and figured it out. Not exactly rocket science, but we now know how to do it. Basically, you'll need to use a 465 to NP208 adapter housing behind the 32 spline SM465. The output shaft will need to be cut off a little bit, probably about 1/4" or so. This will still leave about 2" of spline which is plenty.
    The NP203 gearbox case will need to be re-drilled and tapped in about 6-8 locations to bolt the 208 adapter to it. The adapter will also need 2 holes drilled in it. We plan to provide a drill template to show you where to put the holes on each piece, so this should end up being a project easily accomplished by a reasonably competent mechanic/craftsman with a drill press and a tap set.
    Overall length is a concern since the 465 to 208 adapter is a little over 8" long, so this probably isn't great for a blazer, but I know there's some truck guys looking into this.

This also means that we can replace the NV4500 to NP203 adapter kit we've been selling for about $300 with a drill template. This is due to the fact that the GM NV4500 adapter housing has the same round bolt pattern as the 465 to 208 adapter. The NV4500 does fit OK in a K5, especially the GEN2. Ken Brown's 72 is running a GEN1 with a 4500 and has a pretty decent driveshaft angle in the rear.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

to my understanding ther are 2 different 465-208 adapters, a short one and a tall one---does it matter which one?

You know who I am

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What about using a Ford 203 range box and convert the input shaft over to the GM 32 spline input?

This way the holes are already drilled on the Ford adaptor and all you have to do is just mate everything together.

Would that work?

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

That would work well the adpter to go from the 4500 to the 203 is really just a dodge NV4500 tailhousing, with about 2 inches of flat plate between the 4500 and the 203, The dodge housing is about 2 inches shorter than the chevy so it would work out to the same place ment of the 203. Other than not having to buy the 300.00 adapter you also could keep the Chevy output shaft balencer. I like it! I'll do it! No wait I already did it. The old way. Now if you could just brake something that's made by ORD I could get new.....wait you can do that eather guess I have to keep the old one..............

Ken Brown

5. Stephen

The ford round pattern isn't the same as the GM round pattern, so to have the 203 in the vertical position, you'd still have to re-drill it, in addition to finding the ford 203 which isn't as easy as the GM 203. Otherwise, that would work fine! I don't know who came up with this round pattern but they should be shot. The darn thing is not symmetric, and GM, ford and jeep all use different rotations on their adapters. It appears to be easy to mix and match parts, but it really isn't. Of course it is easier than messing gm transfer cases all having different bolt patterns.......

If you did want to turn the Doubler all sideways, the ford 203 would work well because the shifter could end up on top with the GM 205 turned flat, but that's a little specialized for most guys.

SW-ORD

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but what can us guys with the 10 spline 465's do to accomplish this?Can the 32 spline be adapted to the 10 spline to work any which way or is it impossible to put a doubler on the 10 spline 465?

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Ford NP203 pattern is the SAME as the round GM pattern. Every hole on this 4L80E/NP241 adapter matched up. It is symmetric, but does have a slight rotation - nothing an angled shifter can't fix.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://209.53.37.213/~u2slow/tcase/ford203/>http://209.53.37.213/~u2slow/tcase/ford203/</a>

The Ford 203 should be faily easy to find. Since the Ford 205 is a direct swap-in, many are left for dead. I had an easy time finding three of them - along with many pieces - at the first wrecker I checked with.

Stephen, I commend you for following up on the usage of the SM465/NP208 adapter to mate the 203. I just lacked a 32-spline 203 to try it out with. Nice to know for certain that it works!

8. Stephen

You can do a Doubler on a 10 spline 465, it takes the factory 203/465 adapter that's kind of hard to find. There's some details in the text on our Doubler page on our site that you might want to check out.

The ford pattern is the same as the GM, just rotated different. That normally would not be a problem except that it makes for a funny rotation on the other case unless the adapter is built just for the application. Which we can do, just haven't done it yet. The GM way is nice because you end up with a Doubler kit that can be used in another GM application if you decide to sell or trade out trannies. I guess you could use a TH400/700/350/4L80 adapter (s) that would normally go to a 208 or 241 to retain the round pattern if you decided to switch. The adapters are longer than a typical GM 203 adapter, but it should work.

We haven't found Ford 203's to be as common as GM's overall. Production #'s show a lot better chance of finding a GM 203 also. Really either way will work pretty well.

SW-ORD

9. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I'll vouch for Stephen on this one... it took me a while to dig up a Ford 203 to do my doubler... but then again, I'm in the southwest where nothing rusts. Trucks stay on the road forever &amp; don't go into boneyards just from old age.
    Although if anyone out there is having serious problems finding one (not likely on a GM board, but you never know) I do have access to 2 more married 203s, &amp; 2 divorced 203s for Fords right now located in Arizona.

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

they are common as dirt here.