Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New NP-205 Gears and New 3 Speed T case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Jul 1, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. got off the phone last night with the guy who makes the Super low gears for the Spicer 18 T-case, one of the magazines did an article on his stuff a year or so ago. Anyhow, I left him a message and he called me back from CA and talked for about an hour on his dime!

O.k. here is the scoop, they have a couple of NP-205 t cases that they are using for measurments and as test beds. In about (these are realistic times) 2 years he expects to have available 3 to 1 or 3.3 to 1 low range gears for the Np-205. Its a while, but I am going to wait.

The better news is that he is working on and should have ready for sale in about 1.5 years a new 3 speed Transfer case. Both the gears and the new case will be made to handle the output of the Cummins Diesel engines that are available in the New Dodge trucks, so I dont think strength will be a problem. The new 3 speed case is probably going to have an overdrive high range instead of just 1 to 1. The low range will be around 3 to 1 and the super low will be around 6 to 1.

No trick linkage to make, no super short or super long driveshafts and not allot of crossmember moving. The new t case is expected to run around 2500 to 3000 bucks, in the range of the Atlas, but built for fullsize rigs. They are shooting for K-5's Dodge Ramchargers and Fullsize Broncos and the fullsize truck market.

He will keep me informed, and I will keep yall posted.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

that sounds good are the NP-205s going to be twin stick?

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

3. Depdog

He is just going to make a lower gear set for them, not the 205 itself.

Depdog

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That sounds great! I m looking forward to getting a np205.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

O' I got it now thanks Dep

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

6. Depdog

Just replied to put it back on top for others to see.

Depdog

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Wait I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard. Can`t stop shakin`. Somebody help!!!My savings are in danger now. Complete system failure!!! I`m going down!!!

8. Depdog

Yep, that was my sentiments exactly, could not have expressed them better!

Depdog

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

This is the perfect alternative to that doubler. I like the doubler Idea, but I dont like the added weight, the length difference, etc.... Oh yah, and the PRICE!!!

We just gotta wait a couple years and we'll be stylin...

10. Depdog

Just to put it back on top again for the people who have missed it.

Depdog

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

They have been talking about the new gears for about 6 years now and it has always been just a few years off. Same song all the time from them. What they leave out is that there is no room in the 205 case to gear it lower. I hate to burst your bubble but new gears for the 205 is a pipe dream

12. Depdog

Well, maybe from Mepco or your standpoint, but I have talked with this gentleman a few times and know other who have as well. He is true to his word and has taken the measurements to make sure, not only that, but have you ever seen inside an np-205, there is room for 3 to 1, but not 4 to 1. Oh, did I mention he is a retired Air Force master machinest.

If its a pipe dream then I dream in GALVANIZED!

Last time I heard somebody say its a pipe dream it was when I was ramping the K-5 agianst a guys radical Cherokee, he got 780 on a 25 degree ramp and I got 920, now with a the little extra tweaks and letting the air down to 20 psi in my K-5 I can max it.

Depdog

13. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well from what I here, people are all talk about the np205 gears...i was reading that it would be the best transfer case if it had a different gear ratio...I don't know about a pipe dream, but I bet that [censored] is going to be expensive.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it probably will be expensive, but for those who wheel hard enough and often enough, it will be money well spent!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

15. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Well I have looked at building gears for the 205 also. I have came up with the same conclusion as Obrein and the biggest I could get in there is 2.8 to 1. I don't know where he is going more reduction but I think that is all you are going to get. Sorry to disappoint you guys. I hope he comes out with the other t/case that would be sweet.

Donovan

16. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The dubbler from ORD is a 3 speed case you have high, 2 to 1, and 4 to 1. As for the cost you say that the regear of the 205 would be 2500.00 to 3000.00 and Atlas which can not live in are 3 ton toys, is about 3000.00 yet the dubbler is less than 1000.00 after its in there.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

17. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Well, one of these days, they'll have to come out with something. The cost scares me enough to consider the doubler but like the others, I hate the extra length it adds though. I think it would add a foot on to my 4spd/205 setup.

Shawn
    87 K5

18. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I run it in mine and you cant get much longer than the NV4500 dubbler and 205 thats in there It work better than fine most at the Y2K5 run marveled at the 21 to 24 MPH I gat on the Hyway yet the 100 to 1 1st off road. By the way my rear drive shaft is all of 23.5 inches long!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

19. Depdog

Let me make myself more clear. The new 3 speed case will be 2500 to 3000, the new gears he did not have a price on. I am going out on a limb and gonna say they will be what his other gears for the other cases are and say about a grand.

The doubler from off-road designs is a great product, but its more than a grand if you add in driveshaft mods, all the crossmember mods, the linkage mods. All the grand is gonna get you is the doubler adapters, not the np 205 or the np203 that you need, also if you are like Shawn and myself, they only put 203's with sm465's in 1 year and that was 1974, talk about scarce parts.

Then you have the Klune V crawler, were talking 1800 bucks and then you have driveshaft mods and thats only if you have an 80 or news np 205, if its older you have to have the case machined to accept the th400 input gear and bearing.

Depdog