Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New odometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrskrngl, Jul 10, 2006.

1. chrskrngl

chrskrngl Registered Member

79 K5 Blazer stock. So lovely pennsylvania regulations state that I cannot get an emissions exempt sticker without having a working odometer. so the plan is to go to the junkyard and get a new cluster assembly however I need to make sure that the new odometer is within 5000 miles of the new odometer, anyone know how to "fix" the odometer to make this happen? I really only drive the blazer not even 100miles a month and the odometer just went out a few weeks ago.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why does the odometer need to be within 5000 miles of your current one. What does your state think, that your odometer breaks and you can just go buy a new one with "your" mileage on it. :haha:

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a new 100 mph that I can set to nay mileage you want I bought for mine but I have the little speed thingy on mine. If you want it I would sell it for $25.00. The odometer thing is not to hard but I don't use a drill to do it. The one you get can't have a trip odometer.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

UUMMMMM, it's only a little illegal!!!!!

Anyhow, they are not made to come apart. If yours is broke, try to fix it first and if you can't fix it you can use it to learn how to dismantle it. BTW I can throw a stone to York Co. from my house but I'm still in Adams so I don't have to worry about passing smog. Just the look under the hood.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Under 5000 miles a year you can file for emissions exempt and be able to do pretty much what you want.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I seem to recall replacing the odometer in my '74, and just for my own purposes I made the new one read the same as the old.

I seem to recall taking off one end of the mechanism so that it unlatched, then just spinning the wheels to read the same.

The odometer is prolly not what's broken, btw, it's likely the speedometer *cable*.

Anyway, if you're handy with a screwdriver it's all doable -- these old mechanical speedos are pretty simple critters.

-- A

7. chrskrngl

chrskrngl Registered Member

If it is the spedometer cable that is broke then a new cluster would not fix the problem? (I know stupid question but I have to ask). Metrodps, it is possible that I will take you up on your offer, if you have a paypal account or something I could get you the money I first want to make sure that is the problem, I don't want to be wasting money. At this point I am not sure when I am getting back to be able to look at it. E-mail me at y2kringle@hotmail.com maybe we can work something out.

Thanks