Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New/Old Toyota Pickup Question... Long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Dec 12, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

OK, so i got the head gasket replaced by the shop and also had them look for the leak in the clutch hydraulic system while they were at it because I couldn't seem to find it. It would leak clutch fluid slowly and then when it got low the truck wouldn't go into gear while it was on, it would only go into gear when the truck was off. They said that the slave cylinder was leaking, and they replaced it. That is all fine and dandy, but when I got in it and started to drive it home I noticed the truck was hard to get into gear. They bled the system and everything after they installed the slave cylinder, and so I called them back and they said to just pump it some and it should get better. Well, it didn't get better. Quite the opposite until I was really fighting it to get her into 1st. At stop lights it felt as if the clutch was almost partially catching and the truck was wanting to lunge a bit. Then a little further down the road I smelled the clutch burning. Decided to force, and about a block later I grinded it going for 3rd. Tried again, and grinded again, then tried to drop her back into 2nd... no dice. So I pulled her off to the side. At first I thought it just needed an adjustment, but as it got progressively worse I became less and less sure that poor adjustment was the problem. So I limped the truck the 3 miles back to the shop in traffic and rain on the busiest street in Eugene with no clutch. The owner came back to the shop (it was closed) and told me that he would check it out first thing tomorrow morning (I was supposed to go back home to Portland today) and he would re-bleed the system and check for any problems, then he made a comment to me about how he "hopes it's not the master cylinder."

Now my question to you guys is... what might be the problem? I don't want to have to pay any more bills on this truck (the head gasket and slave cylinder was bad enough). Is it possible that the slave and master cylinders both went tits up at the same time? It sounded to me as though this would be highly unlikely, and I would just like some input from you guys as to what I can expect. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks A Million,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

Oh yeah, it is a 1986 Toyota Pickemup Truck w/ 22re and 5spd.

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Re: New Toyota Pickup Question... Long

I guess it could be the master cylinder. Was it leaking oil onto your foot or onto the carpet and you didn't notice?

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess it could be the master cylinder. Was it leaking oil onto your foot or onto the carpet and you didn't notice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I noticed, but that kind of defeats the purpose of your question. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I think that I would have seen that, and my shoes still look nice and new.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

am i mis-understanding this?
    your problem is with your clutch right?
    as far as i remember, the only thing a clutch has is a
    slave cylinder. please correct me if i am wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

of course i am old school , so when i think of master
    cylinder , it usually has to do with the brakes.

it does sound like you need your system bleed. unless you notice a leak.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

When you step on the pedal you push in on a small piston in the clutch master cylinder, which pushes fluid out of the cylinder, and causes a similar piston to move in the slave cylinder.
    Sure as $hit though, I called back this morning and they told me that they replaced the master cylinder today. Free of labor, but $85 for the part. Come on guys, one of you has some advice for me.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The master cylinder in my 1982 Toy pickup took a [darn] on me. I was wondering why I had to fill the reservoir every week or so. First I rebuilt the slave, still leaking somewhere. Then I noticed inside the cab that th MC was leaking on the floor. I got a rebuild kit at Kragen for like $30 , put it in and was good to go. I used to frequent a Toyota 4x4 site and was directed to the MC leaking inside the cab by someone on there, apparently it's kind of common. I was always on the lookout for puddles or drips under the truck, I never thought to look inside the cab. The fluid just soaked into the carpet, didn't hardly stain it at all. Now if I could just come across a nice cheep 22R motor to replace the one that blew....

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

"Patch", my '84 4wd started doing exactly what you have happening. No leaking anywhere. Took the trans out to replace the clutch and found that the throw-out fork had split from the pivot ball dimple to the slave cyl pushrod dimple. Pushing on the clutch pedal resulting in bending the fork more than releasing the clutch.

8. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i had a 1981 that had a bad clutch master cylinder. it leaked at the rear seal which made the fluid leak into the cab where the rod goes through the firewall. the slave cylinder was on the outside of the bellhousing so you could see if leaks there were present. i am not familiar with later toyota setups but a friend has a 1990 that has a reoccuring problem with cracks in the bracket that holds the clutch pedal assembly, when you push the pedal the bracket flexes and limits the travel of the clutch pedal pushrod. he has replaced it twice! the symptoms appeared to be a burnt clutch or bad slave cylinder but the bracket was the culprit. i don't know if that problem occured on earlier toy's but check it out!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The bracket problem is common, I usually just weld em up, and the inner MC seal is pretty common too. Both are pretty difficult to spot if you're not looking for them. No puddles, etc.