Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New(old) truck

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Diesel Dan, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Just brought home a(nother) project.
    1993 K2500 ext cab. 6.5TD/NV4500, 3.42s, G80 locker.
    Has 227K and bad motor. Plan on installing the CTD in this instead of the suburban and make a daily driver.
    Had to give a little more than I wanted but these don't come along that often. Will try to get some pics up later.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Had to give a little more than I wanted but these don't come along that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who understands the concept.

3. Diesel Dan

Here is a pic
    K2500
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifDon't look too bad.

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice truck!

5. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Dan,

you want to give me (ok, sell) the heads up off that motor, don't you? Including turbo, IP, etc.?

Right?

6. Diesel Dan

Here's the deal on the 6.5 in the truck.
    My brother has first dibs on it for his truck. He bought my '88 V30 crewcab with 6.2 and we just put in a reman motor this past winter. If he's interested we may try the install on his truck. Only thing that concerns me is the front driveshaft clearing the exhaust crossover being his truck isn't lifted.

I won't start this project anytime too soon. Still have concrete to pour in the barn, deck to build, intake gasket on the buick, more concrete on the driveway, door for the entry way.......... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif HOLY COW DUNG! Maybe I don't have time for this /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

7. Diesel Dan

Tried to roll it over for kicks.
    Appears locked up, pulled all but #6&8 glow plugs checking for anti-freeze. All dry. Pulled belt, all accesories turn.

Owner of used car lot said his 2nd cousin bought it and withing 4 months overheated it and refilled with coolant and tried to pass off as nothing he did. Then it quit running and he took it in on trade and was sitting on the lot for almost 3 months, they couldn't find a used motor for less than $3K with 150K on it according to them.

Anyway, pulled oil plug looking for A-freeze. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI've seen gear oil on a cold day come out faster and thinner than this wanna-be oil did /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!
    Motor must be seized, and it's not the fault of the 6.5 in this case.

8. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Dude, that totally sucks!

Let me know if you're still interested in selling the turbo stuff. If the engine oil's that bad, the turbo's likely in bad shape too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd prolly skip on the heads in this case, but maybe not.

FWIW, the xver pipe is different in the earlier years. Banks may be able to tell you more. Pat @ 800-438-7693 x 4127 may be helpful, if not, Avant Salvage in GA (sorry # note handy) is helpful.

The earlier years x-over in the front of the engine AFAIK.

Most of the motors out there have about 100K+ and do go for 3k+ complete.

There's one site out there that has New Old Stock (NOS)motors (so they claim) in the 2.5K range. Search for "6.5 diesel hummer" or something like that.

9. Diesel Dan

The X-over pipe that goes in front of the motor is the older trucks with the banks kit. That X-over won't work on the factory turbo setup.

The reman 6.2 in my brothers truck came from Avant salvage. That's where I got my GM adapters for my cummins as well. IF I wanted to use a 6.5 I recall running into a N/A van motor complete for $1600. Before I did that I'd re-ring the 6.2 out of the V30 and see how long a cracked main would last /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I had another complete 6.5 turbo setup, Rugger03(?) bought that.

Interesting thing is, the CTD I have is also a '93 model. States that on the timing cover tag. So I'll have a '93 truck and motor, with a clean swap I'll try and pass it off as a rare option /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. We were looking at the 6.5 turbo diesel hood decales. I will buy another set, carefully cut the numbers apart, swap the numbers and flip the 6 into a 9 and it'll have the factory look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The X-over pipe that goes in front of the motor is the older trucks with the banks kit. That X-over won't work on the factory turbo setup.

The reman 6.2 in my brothers truck came from Avant salvage. That's where I got my GM adapters for my cummins as well. IF I wanted to use a 6.5 I recall running into a N/A van motor complete for $1600. Before I did that I'd re-ring the 6.2 out of the V30 and see how long a cracked main would last /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I had another complete 6.5 turbo setup, Rugger03(?) bought that.

Interesting thing is, the CTD I have is also a '93 model. States that on the timing cover tag. So I'll have a '93 truck and motor, with a clean swap I'll try and pass it off as a rare option /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. We were looking at the 6.5 turbo diesel hood decales. I will buy another set, carefully cut the numbers apart, swap the numbers and flip the 6 into a 9 and it'll have the factory look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Good one
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif