Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New or Rebuilt Engine????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89OKIE, Aug 17, 2001.

1. 89OKIE

89OKIE Registered Member

I'm putting in a engine with holleys 502-6 TBI 670cfm replacement throtle body. A local machine shop said they can do a turn key job, valve job, bored out, basically a new long block with my intake, ignition, and tbi for $2100.00. A new longblock ordered is 1925.00. My question is finally, would there be a significant difference in the two. The shop has a good reputation and they say it will be like new. I need some advice if anybody has had a rebuilt or new engine.
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

the big part of a new motor is the warrenty. GM gives you the 3yr 36,000 mile. ask the machine shop what they will give you. and a motor from GM is all new parts, so anytime you want to rebuild it you know everything is still good..

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same dilemma as you sorta! [​IMG] I'm torn between a rebuild & a new longblock but am leaning toward the rebuild simply because the shop is known as the best around & will do it cheaper than new with parts they say far exceed stock! In the meantime; a warranty sure sounds nice!! In your case; I'd pick new too since you get both the warranty & cheaper! [​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm going with a rebuild also, that way I have direct contact with the person I'm buying it from and they will want to maintain their reputation in the 4 wheelin community.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

5. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Nice.

If you can afford new, I'd go new.

Rebuild- make sure it is a reputable shop and you feel comfortable with them

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I just went thru this.........I went new...... Warrenty is a big factor and someone spoke of the 4 by community.....once you leave their shop they cann't be held to those problems..... I put in a rebuilt motor two years ago... and just went with a new one.... Just my 2 cents worth.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

If your in the NW ( Wa,Or,Id,Nv,Mo), cumminsnw.com sells a choice rebuilt long block with a 7/70 warrenty for under a grand. One of the best rebuilds you will find, and you can't beat the warrenty.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

A warranty does sound nice. But if you can only afford a rebuild, go with it.

Adam

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i would go with the rebuilt(cause i build them to last).
    if you do go with the new make sure that the warranty covers larger trucks and/or off road applications. some will want to install the engine in themselves to cover the warranty or you have to go to an autherized dealer to make sure you installed it correctly.
    then there are maintance records that you have to keep track of, if you ever do need to use the warranty.

don't read the warranty police once, read it like 5 times. it's a lot of dough you're putting down.

my 2 centavos,

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

10. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I went new in my '88 and installed it myself. Saved mondo bucks and didn't void the warranty.
    Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well I would have no problems w/ a repuable shop doing a motor. Gm motors might be all new stuff but still doesn't mean they are built to the hilt tough. FYI a lot of the early 502's had some problems w/ dropping valves. Almost all of the performance package motors have an astrik style warranty which basically doesn't cover it for any modified use and it can not e touched. Well long story short is GM pretty much hung those folks w/ the early valve dropping tendencies out to dry. I'd really look at the fine print warranty on the GM stuff... And in case anyone out there wants a source for this info it come from one of the best and busiest motor builders I know. He builds almost all the circle track engine for a couple of loacl tracks, he has the shop owner riding a #1 streak for about the past 6 years and also does a ton of drag motors.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

One thing to remember is that if you put a aftermarket cam in a reman or new will usually void the warranty. Rebuild it yourself if you want more torque and HP than stock.