Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New or Used?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by No_Help, Nov 5, 2002.

1. No_Help

No_Help Registered Member

I am looking into getting a new (to me) lift . I was wondering on your guys opinions about buying used lifts vrs a new one? what do I look for to make sure the lift is good and it is the right one? (length,height,stiffness,etc....)

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah...and here's the reasons why.

You will get some type of warranty with a new lift.
    All necessary pieces/hardware will (or should) be there.
    Get cool stickers to put on your windows...gives you more horsepower. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    What to look for: Well, the best/most common lifts used by the members here are Rough Country (which I have), Tuff Country, Skyjacker, Pro Comp, Superlift, etc. If you want the best out there, I've heard Tuff Country EZ-ride springs are the best. To create less hassle in the future - buy a system (with rear springs - not blocks). Make sure you get shocks to go along with it. And a raised steering arm. Height...4" will definitely allow 33" tires, and if you go with Tuff Country EZ ride, that's the biggest I can suggest going because they are flexy springs and you'll put a tire into your fender if you go bigger. Also, depending on if you go with Tuff Country 4" ez ride, you may want to get extended front brake lines.
    I think I covered the basics. Any more questions, just ask, I'm glad to help.

4. No_Help

Thanks for the reply. I run a 4 inch lift now and was thinking about going bigger, prob about an 8 inch lift. I got a good price on a new lift rear blocks though(kit all parts needed) and all I would have to do is get the drive shafts extended(of course rear springs when I can afford them). I also found someone with an 8 inch used lift w/front and rear springs for half the price of the new kit. Just tring to get it done already....

looking for the most lift for the least amount of $$$$$

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oh, sorry...thought you were starting from scratch.
    If you want to go bigger, and know the person well that has the 8" springs, that's an option to consider. Just check the springs over for signs of fatigue because with something like that, when you plop down the money for them, you can't pick it back up. Just a heads up.

6. No_Help

new kit is $770.00 and $180 each shaft to extend....

It should look real nice with my 35's...LOL

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Buy a sawzall. Around $120 and you can use it for all sorts of projects for years to come. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

NEW !!!!!!!! I am currently useing lift blocks in the rear with my 6" set up. I do plan get the Springer Suspension so I can get rid of the blocks and have hella flex. I'd go 6" suspension lift just becouse there is alot more options for suspension mods with 6" then there is for 8". Just something to look into befor you buy anything. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. No_Help

Well I did it just dropped the cash for a 6 inch lift. Pick it up tomorrow...8 inch will have to wait.

guess I will be working on the truck tomorrow!!!!!