Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Orleans....CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Sep 26, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Watching Monday Night Football last night and that punk Spike Lee was in the booth with the commentators (why they allow him the honor I'll never know). Anyway, he was saying "I don't understand why we can't help these people", and basically that there just had not been enough help coming from the rest of the country. It seems like every time someone from N.O. gets on TV they say the same thing............BEGIN RANT- I can't tell you how many people I know from churches and organizations in my relatively small city who have formed mission trips to the gulf coast to rebuild churches, homes, businesses, etc. I can't tell you how many people were put up in hotels in this city FOR FREE, and fed FOR FREE, and clothed FOR FREE by the people in this city. I can't tell you how many trailer trucks full of food, clothing, and supplies were DONATED and shipped to the people in the gulf coast area FOR FREE. I can't tell you how many times these things have been done over this past year and continue to be done FOR FREE to try to help those people. I can't tell you how many times I see someone from New Orleans get on TV and talk about not getting enough help. I wonder how those ungrateful (*(%&$^&*$ would feel if we STOPPED helping and said we've had it, you are on your own!!!!! RANT OVER.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You know, for those of us that live in this area, the only thing more annoying than the fact that people keep complaining about a perceived lack of help/money/supplies/fairness is the bitching and press that inevitably follows....

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ya'know, I do feel sorry for the people of NOLA, but at the same time it irks me that so many have taken advantage of all the help and scream for more. I mean come on now, they looted everything they could, and want hand more hand outs. I think we should help those who can NOT help themselves, but if someone is able too work, then the hand outs for them should stop !!!!!!

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it's true or not (you know how rumors go) but I've heard that the people in Houston are fed up and want the "refugees" OUT!

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It is true...as much as H-town was already the poop hole of Texas...those people made it worse. There's more violence in schools because there are fights between the natives and the "refugees". Crime went up something like 30%, I heard, when they all went to Houston. Like there isn't some sort of connection there? The funny part..N.O. people complain and moan about rebuilding..when you don't hear nearly the same complaining from people in Mississippi and 'bama that got the worse part of the storm. Maybe the people that used to live there should go back and build their own freaking city instead of relying on everyone else in the country to do it for them.:mad:

6. cbbr

Yes, there were looters. Yes, Houston (proably fairly) blames the NOLA crowd for its rise in crime. Yes, it has all been said ten thousand times everywhere. No, it is not news, or even new.

Thing is that every one forgets that they are talkingabout the group that noone talked about before Katrina - the "gov't handout" crowd. They compleined just as much before, they just didn't have everyone's attention. Now, everytime some idiot like spike jones makes a comment, the whole world jumps on it. Before, it would have been simply ignored.

The real injustice is that we all allowed the place to become such a mess in the first place. I can't remember a lot of outrage before Katrina at the fact that so many people lived for generations on welfare. I don't see anyone screaming about the millions of people in every large city that live on it now.

You want to rant about something, look around. My guess is that there are people living on welfare in Tupelo (been there, seen it), it just does not have the spotlight. You are only one disaster away.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm not blaming them for the disaster. I, like many others, are weary of hearing continued complaints of "why won't people help" when billions of dollars and help continue, to this day, to be sent to the coast. The people that are doing the complaining in the press, like Spike Lee, are NOT on welfare. He has millions of dollars. When he was in the "booth" on Monday Night Football why could he not have said, "we want to thank all of the people all over the world that have sacrificed their time and money to help these people". Instead he complains that not enough is being done. Keep in mind there was something like 180 million spent to rebuild the Superdome so a football team could play a game, while others on MNF said that "some neighborhoods still looked like the hurricane hit yesterday". :thinking:

In 1998 my home burned to the ground. We lost everything. The only thing left were the front steps and the chimney so I know EXACTLY what it's like to lose everything in a matter of hours. Even with Insurance it takes time to get them to move on it. I also know that if you are unfortunate enough to have that happen you don't wait on someone else to come along and fix it and then complain when they don't. You get to work and fix it yourself.

8. cbbr

No argument with the fact that spike is a loudmouth asshole. It is also his "job" to complain about the plight of the poor from the booth (see: democrat).

As far as the dome goes, the team, according to the state, brings in far more to the city than it costs so that is an investment and a way to spend a lot to make a lot more. "Playing a game" is simply the draw for that money. If they stay with the capacity crowds, the investment will pay off very well.

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

CBBR,

You live in that area and may very well be correct on the dome I don't know. If you are then I will admit wrong there. Additionally, I have no doubt that you are NOT one of the people that are complaining. I meant no offense at all to you. This is really no ones business but just so you know where I'm coming from, my wife and I have given financially to support these mission trips to the coast. We have a 10 month old girl so we just could not make the actual trip, but we figured we could at least help provide financially. Just angers me a little to hear that garbage. Again no offense meant and I hope there was none taken. :waytogo:

10. cbbr

None at all Brother and I didn't mean any either. And I am sure that the many good people that I know personally that live in NOLA would say, and want me to thank you for the help.

I also don't disagree with you as far as the ingrates and whiners. It just hits a nerve because it is all that we hear on a daily basis. They were there before, but now they have been washed out into the sunlight (read: media) and people don't like what they see.

I am also not sure about the Saints. like I said, according to the state it is a boon. Of course both La. and NOLA are run by idiots.

11. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

No offense to anyone but why someone would choose to live in a city that is 20' below the surrounding water level is beyond me.

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

No judgement here. Here in Los Angeles, we're all in denial, cheating time until the big "nine-point-o seismo". This whole basin is one big Petro dump, its going to look like Hell's kitchen. Send money now.:haha:

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

any1 care to guess how much federal government help there was in San Fran after the '06 earthquake? How about the Great Chicago Fire of 1871? If you guessed between -$1 and $1, you were right...

the people of New Orleans deserve several hundred billion dollars though. :rolleyes: I'm tired of their bitching, frankly. Yes it was a nasty diaster... yes people who didn't invest their $ wisely (ie good insurance, savings, emergency funds etc) "lost everything"... yes people died. The facts remain however:

a) the VAST majority of people stranded by the huricane could have evacuated if they had chose to do so.

b) the state/city has known the levees were weak for at least 25 years and did jack all... and the people kept electing them.

c) the citizens of this great country sent a LOT of money and donated a LOT of time to the people of NO... standing there, jobless (and not even trying to get a job) and demanding even more help is flat out bull****.

d) the federal government, though it has no business spending gazillions on disasters, did so anyway... quit complaining that its "not enough". If you want more $, get off your ass and get a job like everyone else in the country who doesn't live in NO has to do. Its been a damn year... GO TO WORK.

e) if you were white in NO you were more likely to die in Katrina than if you were black.... so we can all shush about Bush hating black people. :rolleyes:

f) it has been well-known forever that NO is not just below sea level... but sinking... rapidly. Its doubtful that NO will survive the next 100 years, frankly... so spending a gazillion dollars there is a bit like pissing it into the ocean. Popular Science had a very detailed analysis of all this in Sept of 2001. Armed with this knowledge, a wise person would leave. And no, I'm not going to buy the "but some people are to poor to move!" arguement. Thats total bull****. There were former-slaves that had NO money and ****ing walked from plantations in the south all the way to the north east, Chicago etc etc after the civil war. Its been done before, and under worse conditions than ANY American lives under now. If you chose to stay in NO knowing all this, don't stand there with your handout expecting me to rebuild you house ever few years.

j

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I was waiting for someone to metion that. What the hell did they think would happen when a Hurricane hit. And im sorry, I feel bad for them as much as a I can but the pric inside of me says its a natural disaster. **** happens scoop up whats left of your live and start rebuilding.

It seems likes its been awhile since a bad earthquake out in Cali and I was young then too but I dont remember this big of fuss over that.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There wasn't... but next time there probably will be. White people are no longer the majority there, after all.

j

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thats cause people got the fock over it and rebuilt. My Dad was the head mechanic on the highway that collapsed aka Cypress Structure. I remember he would work 12 hour days 6 and 7 days a week for over 2 years to get it done. There wasn't some outside company that came in and did the work, all the work was done by local company's with local workers. Ya gotta keep your own house clean and don't expect the neighbor to do it for you.

17. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

It is NOT the federal governments role to take care of this type thing anyway. Just one more example of where the Federal Government's authority and jurisdiction have grown far beyond what the founding fathers intended.

18. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Houston is way past the "get the **** out" status. The mayor has even made statements about it. Yes Houston was already a ****hole, but they did make it significantly worse. CBBR is right though about how those people were already like that. I've talked to people all over the country about this and they all seem suprised how everyone from Houston hates these people. I think that H-town got the worst of the worst from the NOLA area, the Superdome nomads so to speak, so the ones who had enough gumption to move on with their lives is who the rest of the country has the pleasure to know.

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea CBBR is right..........moochers will be moochers whether they are in New Orleans or Houston or wherever.

20. cbbr

Mooching is a portable profession....