Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Orleans, maybe I don't understand?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Sep 3, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I never knew it until now that New Orleans was built under sea level. Am I missing something? Is under water maybe not the best place to have a city? Should they re-build it under water or maybe find somewhere else to build?

In this article, scientists claim that New Orleans was doomed anyhow :o http://ask.yahoo.com/20041005.html

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My understanding is that NO was above sea level when it was first built, but has sunk over time.

Tom

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Much of the city is located below sea level between the Mississippi River and Lake Pontchartrain, so the city is surrounded by levees. Until the early 20th century, construction was largely limited to the slightly higher ground along old natural river levees and bayous, since much of the rest of the land was swampy and subject to frequent flooding. This gave the 19th century city the shape of a crescent along a bend of the Mississippi, the origin of the nickname The Crescent City. In the 1910s engineer and inventor A. Baldwin Wood enacted his ambitious plan to drain the city, including large pumps of his own design which are still used. All rain water must be pumped up to the canals which drain into Lake Pontchartrain. Wood's pumps and drainage allowed the city to expand greatly in area. However, pumping of groundwater from underneath the city has resulted in subsidence. The subsidence greatly increased the flood risk, should the levees be breached or precipitation be in excess of pumping capacity (as was the case in 2005 in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina). There were many warnings in the late 20th century that a major hurricane or a Mississippi flood could create a lake in the central city as much as 9 m (30 ft) deep, which could take months to pump dry.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alllllright, where'd you copy and pase from, bucko? :D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

interesting article...

A guy on Rhonda Vincent's message board from alabama posted a link to a very prophetic article on New Orleans and its impending disaster if a level 5 hurricane ever hit there--its from the October 2004 issue of National Geographic--its almost a word for word description of what just occured,its eeirie its so close!--and they warned the government not to cut funding for the levees and other hurricane proofing,but as we now know,they didn't listen--can't say they weren't warned!.. :doah: :( :crazy:

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Me thinks they need some of them blown Chevy motors on them pumps to keep up wit that dam levy brake, doont you? :crazy: :pimp:

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Wikipedia :D

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I figgered so... Wikipedia rocks the world!!!!!! :bow:

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

A guy at work say they ought to put a giant dome over it and link the out-lying areas with human Habi-Trails.

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well if i was going to rebuild, id put my house on stilts