Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Owner 76 blazer in AZ, few questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevenb8, Mar 24, 2005.

1. stevenb8

stevenb8 Registered Member

I am a new Blazer owner. Just bought a 76 blazer for $500 bucks. I have a few questions and need some ideas please. Any must do things or things to watch out for?

1.I have a th350 and want to know about installing a th200 overdrive because the input/output shafts are the same and the length also?

2.How much work is involved in using a 2" body lift, looking for easy cheap way to lift.

3.Who makes replacement interior parts and body pieces. I found JC whitney but back in the day they were the wost parts on the market. Need to replace rocker panels and a small area behind rear wheel.

4.I like the idea of the door hindge pin kit, but are there any issues with this for a daily driver?

5.I NEED SEATS, burb, truck, leather, whatever

6.Anyone in Phoenix or Prescott AZ area show me some trails or get togethers

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Welcome.....

1. No clue, sorry. Most people go with a 700R4 if they want an overdrive tranny.

2. To install a body lift you must remove the body mounts which is probably more work than installing new lift springs. The bumpers then should be raised to match the raised body, also there are issues with the shifter linkages, I dont think this is a problem with a 1" body lift though. You can buy 2" front TC springs and a 2.5" rear shackle flip for the rear at www.offroaddesign.com and your truck will ride and flex great.

3. www.LMCtruck.com

4. No idea, sorry. I think some members do this however....

5. Junk yard?

6. Sure thing, there's a bunch of great guys in the area. I like the Florence area, others like Table Mesa.

:thumb:

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie too, but I'll answer what questions I can

2. Most people around here probably do a 1" body lift and 1" ORD ( www.offroaddesign.com ) Zero Rate Add-a-leafs, if they want 2" of lift. But if you do a search for body lift I'm sure you could find out more info 2". I've heard once you go more than 1" it gets complicated, but I don't have any experience with it, so that's just heresay coming from me. (BTW, if you don't search before you ask questions, most members will politely remind you to search first, then ask questions, hint, hint. :wink1: )

3. www.chevyduty.com www.lmctruck.com www.1aauto.com www.classicindustries.com www.prp.com www.americanclassic.com www.gspp.com www.accmats.com www.metropartsmarket.com

5. junkyards or aftermarket, or parts for sale section on this site

6. Rockie Mtn Regional Board (you might need to be a member to view this and the for sale section, I don't remember, becoming a member is well worth it, the advice, discounts, and more, will more than pay back your dues in no time)

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

As for #4...

-I wrote the article
    -My truck is a daily driver

So no, there aren't any problems, well maybe the problem of waking up every day and asking yourself "Should
    I take my doors off today?" :D

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The 200R4 was not available as a 4x4 tranny as far as I know. The 700R4 built to last would be the better way to go.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally I'd go for a sm465/NP-205.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The 200 isn't really up to truck duty. You can find used suspension lifts for cheap. LMC truck catologs are a GM owners best friend. There are many AZ guys with the door pins on daily drivers (myself included). Watch the rockie mountain section for runs. Table mesa is about 70 mins south of prescott.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wont Work??

I think the TH2004R is a better tranny than the 700R4,at least the early 700R4 or ones that havent been beefed up--we sold nearly every 700R4 at the junkyard we had,but got few calls for the Th2004R tranny's,they just didnt seem to croak as often...:confused:

I think the tailshaft is part of the case on a TH2004R,no way to bolt a transfer case to one--the only way you could use one is to have a divorced transfer case...:thinking: .

9. johnnyclueless

johnnyclueless Registered Member

Check my post of the parts section - I'm taking my stock seats out over the weekend - they are light blue - great condition - would be willing to part with them cheap. I live in Scottsdale, AZ

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

While I would always suggest buying from a member if you can, if that doesn't work out for you ebay is also a good source for the seats, loads of them on there.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

2004r were all 2wd

a 2004r would be same length and spline as a 2wd 6" tail th350(cars only)

output shaft would be same part of the case just as much as any other auto tranny, th350, 700r4, etc., is removable, from inside that is, same deal,

maybe an aftermarket Co. makes a 4x4 output shaft for the 2004r,
    you never know,, but im unaware of such right now,
    and it would cost a chunk to have put in,

good luck and great score on an AZ 76 K5 for only 500

thats just crazy.,. you stole that one.. big time,

welcome to CK5

good luck

12. stevenb8

Thanks guys for all the help and ideas, Ill keep you informed on the progress,im pulling the motor this weekend for rebuild.

Sucks, on the 200r4 I thought it would be a easy swap

Anyone willing to swap or have a 700r4/trans case laying around in AZ?

13. stevenb8

Johnny clueless how much for the seats? All of them?