Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Owner '83 Jimmy - Problem Areas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Oct 10, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

First GMC in my life - awesome beast!

Before looking at mods, I want to give an overall check - what are the common problems or things that need attention in this model, stuff I should check/change besides oil, air filter, etc?

1983 V8 305, manual, seems to be in top shape, except for leaking transfer case, heavy and long clutch.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Frame near steering box for cracks for sure . Transfercase for shifting , since its old enough .

I expect you are going to do some seals like valve covers , transfercase rear seal etc .

Make it reliable first .

Everything else on the truck is getting old too , so expect some wiring , switches , and rubber stuff to be replaced as you go :D

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Check the frame where the steering box mounts. Also top rear shock mounts. Both areas are prone to cracks. Enjoy your K 5.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

About 6 years agao I had a 81 Blazer that ripped the top shock mount off on the rear drivers side. If you plan to do any wheeling get a frame repair/brace for the steering box mount. Ive seen small cracks in the frame by where tranny/T-case crossmember bolts up. Tho it had a lowered T-case to help driveline angles after lift.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Swap in a diaphram clutch and your left leg will thank you. Most likely has the 3 finger Borg & Beck style right now.

Rene

6. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

front cross member is also a problem area, mine busted to hell along the passenger side, replaced it with one from Mo-Offraod.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys - appreciated, specially since all checks out! No rust, no cracks, no nothing.

I've greased and oiled all around, and the clutch pedal is a bit smoother now - still long way to get it down though. I'll put the diaphram clutch on the list, maybe for when this one blows.

My first priority is reliability first, since I drive in the desert and that's a heavy truck to tow out on the sand! From what I can tell and see, it looks like the Jimmy's a solid truck with very few weak spots!!!

8. ike

ike Registered Member

steering box mount

It's good you don't SEE cracks around the steering box mount ......You will need to take the box out to realy check the area...Seach the threads here ...Order the kit and brace for your box from ORD...If its not cracked now....brace it up so it stays that way...Put that at the top of your list..

9. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check it out - excuse ignorance: what's ORD?

Offroad Racing Design?

10. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Close... "Off Road Design." They have alot of the stuff you'll need to build yer rig right!! :waytogo: