Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Owner/Member

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85-454blazer, Feb 26, 2004.

1. 85-454blazer

85-454blazer Registered Member

New owner and member!! Looks like a great site. I have a lot to learn. Just aquired an '85 w/454, was a desiel, great price. VERY, VERY straight body (black), unmolested, and has a lot of great looking stuff: wheels, tires, stereo, again - very straight body. QUESTION: 4x lever gradualy kicks out of 4H. 4L seems to operate OK. What do I do or expect repair wise? QUESTION: has power windows and rear window. Cannot open rear tailgate; window comes down to within an inch of full open +/-a little bit. What do I look at? Gotta do my own work! Help please! Jerry

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5!

ZI'm not so up on the NP208 case you have so I'll pass on that.

The Tailgate has a lockout that does not alow the gate to open unless the window is all the way down. Once all the way down the bottom of the track attached to the window will push a slide that unlocks the the latch.

Climb in the back and you can get the access cover off with the gate closed. If you have the carpet peice feel around the edges and you will fins some screws.

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Greetings and welcome to the show, fill out yer profile and stay awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

welcome aboard...

your transfer case shifter has a down-right-down pattern which is imposed by the plate at the base of the shifter lever. pop off the interior shifter cover and ensure that it locks into the 4hi position before bottoming out and moving right. if it is bottoming out (the shift lever is touching the plate) when in the 4hi position, you need to go underneath and adjust the linkage. the possible problem is that you are currently bottoming out prior to being fully locked into the 4 hi position - you are not really fully seated into the position and a bit of normal vibration will pop it out.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Welcome!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grimmy is on the ball with the tailgate. The interupt switch
    Is on the drivers side latch inside the tailgate.

As far as the t-case, it common for the case to wear where the shift fork runs. This will not allow the rail and fork to engage fully. As far as i know, If that is the problem, There is no way to fix the case. I wouls check the actual fork also. These sometimes get bent with people trying to force them in and out of 4wheel. It's easy to pop the rear half of case off with it still in the truck. just to inspect.

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Does the truck have a body lift? I had to do some playing with the linkage on my because of the body lift to get it to stay in 4H.

8. 85-454blazer

85-454blazer Registered Member

I appreciate the cordial response and info from this forum. I will be busy this weekend trying out suggestions and will continue to watch for more info. Thanks to all. Jerry