Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new owner, some simple questions............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Terminaltsi, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

hey everyone, i'm new to the blazer world, i have a 73 K5 with a crate motor, 3" body lift, 3" susp. lift and 33" super swampers.

one of my questions is this: what are teh vacuum lines for that are attached to the differential housings for? when i bought mine, the front one was broken off and hanging.
    also, how much power goes to the front wheels when the transfer case is engaged? i ask because i was driving on the beach in mexico and got stuck because the front wheels weren't pulling even though i had the t case engaged. my rears were spinning but the fronts were just sitting there.

also, what kind of diffs are in my truck front and rear? i read that dana 44 is in the front but waht's in the back?

thanks.

2. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

you should have a 12 bolt in the back

also the transfer case makes a 50/50 distrubution so it sounds to me like something is wrong in the 4wd system if there is no power being applied to the front. this is a dumb question, but did you have your front hubs locked?

i dont know about any vacuum lines, the only thing i know of that will come off of the diffs are vent tubes.

im pretty new to these trucks but im pretty sure im right

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds like 98sub454 is correct.

Check to make sure your front hubs are locked. If you have auto locking hubs then you might want to have them replaced because they are prone to failure.

The hose that comes off of the diffs are the vent tubes.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The locking hubs on the front probably werent engaged, like was already mentioned.

The "vacuum tubes" you are referring to are not vaccum tubes. They are just vents to relieve pressure that builds up in the axles. The front should run up beside the radiator on the driver's side. I believe the rear one runs up to the frame.

The rearend should be a 12 blt unless it's been swapped out.

If you have any more questions you might try doing a search. There is lots of info on this site; just about everything has been covered atleast once or more. And welcome to the site. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Welcome ColoradoK5
    I agree with the other guys, And will add

Please Fill Out Your Profile
    Thank you

Eric

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, those are vent lines on your diffs. Fix the hanging one or you will suck water into your diff.
    Next, assuing stock because you didn't say otherwise & automatic because it is the most common. If its not you need to let us know, but based on that you have an NP203 full time x-fer case. You do not have auto hubs (even though many people will tell you they are because there is no dial) you have drive flanges at the ends of your D44. If you had the case in normal 4HI or 4LO then you do not have a 50/50 power split. There is a center diff that will send power to the axel w/o traction, just like an open diff in an axel will send power to the wheel w/o traction. Path of least resistance, get it? You need to select HI Loc or LO Loc to lock the center diff. It will then behave like a conventional part time 4WD system. Hope that made sense.
    Yes 12B rear was stock.

7. Terminaltsi

thanks for the responses everyone. here's another q then; what are the positions on the t case lever? mine just has an unlabled knob on it, so i just pushed it forward u ntil i heard it engage and assumed that was the full 4x4 position. normally it sits in the full back position. in the middle feels like neutral since i can put the trans in gear and the truck wont' move. am i wrong? this is an auto. trans.

also, i did have the hubs locked, as far as i know, because at some time they were converted to warn manual hubs. anybody know what gear ratio is in the rear?
    thanks.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Shift positions should be

(forward)
    4Lo
    2Lo
    Neutral
    2Hi
    4Hi
    (closest to you)

The "loc" positions are 4WD; the regular one is 2WD.

Your rear axle could have damn near anything in it. Is there an options code sheet in the glove box still? My '74 and '77 came with 3.73:1's, but there are lots of other options -- 3.08:1 being one.

9. azheep

azheep Registered Member

I think in full time shift pattern is.

4low lock (most forward)
    4low
    n
    4high
    4high lock
    my 77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is that way. if you don't put it into the lock position, h or l it is like you have an open diff in your t-case. hope this helps.

10. Terminaltsi

hmmm....i seem to only have 3 positions. all the way back is 2wd, middle is neutral, and all the way forward is 4wd. i can't feel any other positions.....what's up with that?

11. bigjbear

Try moving it more slowly. The old lock positions are now 4WD and the old normal = 2WD. It will shift very smothly between 2/4 in both the high & low ranges.

12. azheep

azheep Registered Member

at the base of the shifter there is the boot and a cover plate. on the drivers side of the plate it should say what the positions there are.
    I just went out and looked at my. it goes Lloc,L,N,H,Hloc. If you don't have a full time case, I am not sure. There is not to much space between the pionts.

13. bigjbear

Just a guess but his plate may be gone. From the kind of "?" he's asking I'd bet it is. When the boot gets torn up many of just slap on a universal boot.
    "Lloc,L,N,H,Hloc" is what the plate would have said, but he thinks his was converted to part time. If it was the positions would be 4L,2L,N,2H,4H. If it wasn't converted and someone just slapped on some hubs then you are correct

14. Terminaltsi

yes the previous owner just put a b&M shifter handle and rubber boot on there, so there is no way of telling. i was messing around with it and still find only 2 positions. all the way back seems to be 2wd and in the middle is n and all the way forward is some kind of 4wd. that's it. i tried to feel any other positons but there aren't any. what the hell is up with this thing? i want a full time 4wd position, not this part time thing! the hubs were converted to warn at some time but that looks like all that happened. anybody know what's up with this?

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well even a part time case doesn't have only 2 positions. If it was switched out for an NP205 or NP208 it would have 4. 2Hi, N, 4hi, 4L in that order from top to bottom. Try sliding the levr to the right when you go down to what feels like the last spot. On the newer ones you have to move it the side then continue down.

16. Terminaltsi

ok good idea. i'll try sliding it to the side andthen more forward and see if that works. thanks.

17. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

If the linkage is way out of adjustment maybe you can't get in all the positions... my 77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif had that problem when I got it, it would go into 2lo, N, 2hi, 4hi, but popped out of 4hi so might seem like only 3 positions.

The linkage adjustment was straightforward but awkward for me, just read your chilton/haynes etc.

cheers,
    Kevin

18. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

On my 91' chev when I had the clutch redone the linkage directly under the shifter was installed backwards. It appeared to only fit 1 way but there was another way. I had the same thing happening as you do now. Thats what I'd check first. only takes about 5 mins to do.