Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new paint job help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by patrickcampbell, Aug 26, 2003.

1. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

i want to know about how much it cost u guys to get your blazer painted and where u did it! give me some pics! thanx /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> $53 for paint, about $50 for supplies, painted in my garage. Semigloss paint is very forgiving. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you're looking to get a pro job that isn't "Maaco" or "Earl Sheib" quality, then you're pretty much looking at a minimum of about $3000 if the body is in real good shape, IE few dents and no rust. THe cheap places do a decent job if you do all the prepwork, but the prepwork is the hardest part.

Here's a crappy pic of mine after the paint was done. Yes, it still needs door handles. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG] </font>

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $3000 if the body is in real good shape

[/ QUOTE ]

good god, that would be hard to hear the sounds of branches goin down the side of your rig after you dropped that kinda cash... i never thought it was that expensive.... If i was to do all prep work, and take it into Maaco.. what kinda bill would i walk away with? im talkin all the prep work including, removing lights, bumpers, brackets, handles, hell id even Mask it off, in the parking lot.........???????????

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you really want to get a decent paint job you should remove everything, including all of the windows. Put them back in with new weatherstripping and it will make a huge difference in how nice the truck looks. I left the windows and all that stuff in, only because my truck is just a trail rig, it's going to get beat on anyways. Strip the interior if you want it to match. Then tow the thing down to get it painted. I think that Maaco's top end paint job is like $600 or something. That includes prep work I think, but Maaco's prep work is basically just scuffing the original paint. That's fine if the paint is in good condition and it's original, but if the paint is dried out, cracking or oxidized real bad or the truck was repainted over the original paint already, then you'll want to strip it to metal. When I painted mine I stripped it to metal because it had so much paint already on it. It's a real pain in the butt to do, but the results and durability are worth it.</font>

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Kinda hijacking here, but i he can use this info too i bet....

What did you use for stripping? i dont think a wire wheel on a drill sounds like much fun...

i dont really care abuot the inside, not going for a show truck, im just getting sick of looking at my Primer bandaids from where the paint chipped from getting hit by trees /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used Aircraft stripper for the bulk of the job, I ran out after getting *most* of the paint off and decided to sand the rest down with a D/A. BAD IDEA. It took forever and was really messy what with the dust and all. If I did it over I would have bought another gallon of stripper and finished the job that way, then just do the final bit of smoothing with the D/A.</font>

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

This is what Macco will do...I spent about 3 weeks of prep be fore I took it in, and I took every thing off too so they would not paint it...cost was
    $299.00 paint
    $100.00 oversize
    $35.00 dash

[​IMG]

8. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Macco quoted me $455.00, just a quick sand down and paint only. They said they would give me a 4 year warranty in case of any peeling or evidence of the paint not sticking. We'll see what they actually do!

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ask your freinds.. theres guys out there that will paint your truck on the side, of course theres no gauarnee how GOOD or HOW LONG it will last but if there a freind of ur freind you will probably be ok

After I get my truck on the road I plan to start doing my truck I plan on painting it my self /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif with the help of a professional /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

50 bucks for paint? thats pretty cheap!

THe previous owner of my truck had it repainted, and its like metallic blue. THe paint is showing signs of wear, from all the 4wheeling activity.

I got my paint color matched professionally, and it cost me 200 bucks to get two quarts (which must be diluted 1:1 with reducer). I got it done this way so that all the door trims and what not would match up perfectly.

It still requires you to do all the prep work, but I've been practicing my painting skills on other objects, so that when the time comes for me to paint, I will be ready!!!

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG]

$700 GM paint job (it was "practice" paint job, kind of a after hours job) $200 paint, $500 labor.
    He sanded the top and body, filled a few holes (from the trim), took the mirror off (not the door handles or bumpers though). 1 coat of feather fill/primer, 2 coats of 2000 GM Med Metallic Charcoal (I wanted a clear coat too but I dont think it has one).

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

that looks sweet!