Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hammermachine, Jul 14, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

I'm planning to do my own paint job (my truck's paint is worn and rusted) Should I first prime my truck with rust bullet or a cheaper product like rustoleum? I'm planning to use durabak as a finish coat. does any of this make any sense?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

You're going to have to clean the truck with xylene really well before applying Durabak, and Durabak would provide a barrier against air and moisture on the metal it covers, at least as good a barrier as paint.

If it were me I'd remove as much rust as possible by sanding, grinding, or using a rust converter, then clean with xylene and Durabak it right away. If there is an inevitable delay between removing rust and applying Durabak, then get something onto the metal after the rust is removed, whatever is moisture proof (some primers aren't, so rust can form underneath it).

Or you can go the POR 15 route, then use their Top Coat Primer over the POR 15 before you prep for Durabak. You don't need to use their primer over POR 15, but you would need to sand it really well instead. Easier just to use their primer. That's what I did with the light rust on mine. And I used a grinder to remove or cut out the heavy duty rust before I Durabak'd mine.

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Durabak sticks to bare metal pretty good. You just need to make sure and get rid of all the rust first. I used an abrasive wheel, the kind that 3m makes, for my drill and it did the job nicely. x2 on the xylene. Don't take short cuts with the prep, or it will all peel off later.

4. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

go to your local auto body paint supply shop and ask for a product called ZERO RUST, it comes in quarts or spray cans and has a rust converter built in. This is amazzzzzing stuff!!!!!!! just clean the truck and and apply "very important" THREE FULL COATS I always use a flat black "the military uses this as a base coat for their trucks" and presto NO MORE RUST PROBLEM!!!! I would get the quarts and use a spray gun, much better aplication this way!!

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That's why I figured I drag it up from the dead. :D