Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New parts for my front driveshaft (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jul 28, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a high angle of operation on my front driveshaft, and it was a little too short because of the 8" of lift on the front of my truck. Since I cannot correct the operating angle without messing up my caster, I got an offset 1310 u-joint from Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft Shop ($65 total with shipping and every thing), which (along with a little grinding of the shaft u-joint coupler) allows 30* of operating angle (at slower speeds, not freeway speeds).

I also bought a 1" Superlift driveshaft spacer (part #4310) from Summit Racing ($68 with shipping and everything).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've run that space with no problems. I don't need to any more since the D60 is a bit longer in the yoke than a D44. I'm sure other will post about the u-joint. I've heard they definitely cause vibs above something like 25 mph.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As an FYI, you can use a IFS 241 front output to get you to the same point as the spacer.

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey I have that spacer too. It came with the Superlift and although many people were telling me not to run it I have never had a problem with it even at highway speeds when my front auto hubs don't work. I was able to use the stock driveshaft in the front with no problems and it sits in about the center of it's stroke so I have equal space for compression as well as extension.

One thing I will say though is it's a pain in the rear to install without taking the TC skid plate off. That shaft gets really heavy holding it with one hand while trying to get a socket in there to tighten those bolts.

I have some install pictures info. on my site in my sig.

-Avery

5. 1-ton

Yea, the guy I talked to on the phone at Tom's warned me about that. The only speeds my front drive shaft will see is slow crawling while while wheeling, or at most 30 MPH when on a snowy road in the mountains.

That is interesting. I bet you could aslo combine that 241 output with the spacer, and really get some length out if it.

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

That would prolly work, but by the time you get that long, you really should get a longer DL. Longer male/female slipyoke, since you're (hopefully) making use of all that lift/travel, and longer DL overall = reduces angle on the U-joints the farther you can get the yokes apart.

7. 1-ton

I was just half joking/half serious when I said you could combine the 241 output with a the spacer. I think I would seriously consider lengthening my driveshaft over a bunch of band-aids.

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I figured you were savvy enough to know that.