Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New PC my Aunt gave me, what should I do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My aunt GAVE me a new pc over the weekend. No I don't mean a BRAND NEW one. She gave me her old PC. She said it needed a "power thing", heck I have one of those. So I brought it back here to Blairsville, throw in my spare Power Supply Unit and boot it up... or try. It wouldn't work. I swapped video cards for a spare one, still nothing. Finally I noticed, the special power plug that all Pentium 4 boards have, isn't plugged in, so I plug that in(the spare PSU luckily is very new), and she boots right up. Haven't tried accessing windows yet.

Anyway here is the thing, what should I do with it? I have everything I would need to wire it into a network and have 2 PCs running in my room(one at my desk and one across the room by my leather lounge chair I was also given(long ago). So should I set this new PC up and use it or should I get it running well, do a fresh windows install and sell it?

If I keep it, I'll likely throw a new mobo in it so I can overclock it.

Specs as of right now:
    -Pentium 4 1.7GHz
    -512MBs of DDR 266 ram
    -2 HDDs, one 40GB one 9GB
    -24/10/40x CD burner
    -48x CD drive
    -floppy drive(Not hooked up right now, who has floppy discs anymore?)
    -TNT2 Vanta video card(no gaming machine here)
    -10/100 ethernet card(at least I think, if its not I have spares laying around)
    -56K phone modem(ewww)
    -SCSI adapter card(intriguing)

My uncle was into computers before he died, he put this thing together some time ago and I guess the PSU died.

I could probably get a few hundred for it(with the 15" monitor she gave me with it), but I am a computer nerd and two is better then one...

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

send me the ram and cd burner :D

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

think I'm gonna clean it up and sell it. $300 would buy my high steer/crossover arms