Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Pistons and Rings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by abusedtrucks, Sep 3, 2002.

1. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

I need to get some pistons for my Blazer, but I'm running out of money :-( I posted here a while ago to ask what the best way to spend $2500 was on my Blazer that I bought in May. Unfortunately, most of that money went to repairs for it instead of upgrades. Oh well, it was fun trashing it.

I thought I just needed new head gaskets, but when I tore my heads off, I saw that I had blown a huge hole through my piston. The cylinder wall looks fine though (needs to be honed). I just got my shipment of parts the day that I saw that I will need to be ordering new pistons and rings now.

I need to know what pistons to go with. I've looked at so many and they all claim to be the best. Which ones are the best for the money? Also, what do I need to get other than pistons and rings? I've got a set of new heads ( I just need to pick them up ), new headers, and all the gaskets. What else do I need to put these pistons in?

Thanks for your help. I just want to beat my blazer again. BTW, these are going into my 383 Stroker.

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

A 383 needs special pistons for clearance with the heads.
    Other than that, I would talk to a couple of good motor shops in your area.

3. abusedtrucks

Thanks. I think I know what size I need. I just need to know if one brand is any better than the next. I guess I could have been more specific about that.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I've heard only good comments about Keith Black Silvolite hypereutectic. That's what my brother ordered for his Camaro.

Supposedly, the difference between these hypereutectic and the rest is an adittional hardening stage KB puts them through.

Also, the main advantage about hypereutectics is they are stronger than cast and don't expand as much as forged pistons, allowing you to run tighter clearances.

Hope this helps.

5. abusedtrucks

That helps :-)

As always, thanks for the feedback.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I've got Keith Blacks in my 355. I've been running it for about a month and so far I like them. I think the best price I found was at Scoggin Dickey, but I had the machine shop order mine. Be sure to have the rings file fitted or they can bust the top of the piston off.