Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Pix Up

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I posted some new pictures to my Blazer's page. It's at:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html>http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html</A>

I added some pix of the engine compartment, the transmission and mounts, and the rear brakes.

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Cool stuff! I am pulling the body of the Jimmy soon and will be building the suspension and drivetrain. A couple of questions:
    TRANS
    Did you consider a Gear Vendors OD with the M465? I am sure the NV4500 is smoother, but installation seems quite a bit more involved. I would like an OD gear, please give me your thoughts on installation, drivability and cost. I would guess the GV will cost $2300, plus driveshaft mod ($200?).
    BRAKES
    What led you to the master cylinder/booster combination you installed? Observations? I am tinkering with the idea of hydro-boost - I installed it in my 91 V1500 Sub, and talk about brakes! I don't know if a late model high pressure PS pump will bolt right in, but I bet it will.
    REAR BRAKES
    I have a 14 bolt FF that I am planning to install in the Sub - do you know anyone who has converted to discs using GM parts from late model all-disc setups found on 3/4 ton trucks?

When are you gonna wax the poor thing?
    Thanks
    JB

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Cool stuff! I am pulling the body of the Jimmy soon and will be building the suspension and drivetrain. A couple of questions:
    TRANS
    Did you consider a Gear Vendors OD with the M465? I am sure the NV4500 is smoother, but installation seems quite a bit more involved. I would like an OD gear, please give me your thoughts on installation, drivability and cost. I would guess the GV will cost $2300, plus driveshaft mod ($200?).
    BRAKES
    What led you to the master cylinder/booster combination you installed? Observations? I am tinkering with the idea of hydro-boost - I installed it in my 91 V1500 Sub, and talk about brakes! I don't know if a late model high pressure PS pump will bolt right in, but I bet it will.
    REAR BRAKES
    I have a 14 bolt FF that I am planning to install in the Sub - do you know anyone who has converted to discs using GM parts from late model all-disc setups found on 3/4 ton trucks?

Thanks
    JB

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    TRANS
    BRAKES
    REAR BRAKES

Thanks
    JB

5. Steve_Chin

Jungleboy, the NV4500 installation's cost is pretty close to what the Gear Vendors OD kit is, and it's all contained within one box. The special tranny oil is quite expensive, though (fron $18 to $26 per quart from GM dealers). The NV4500 is so much smoother and quicker-shifting than the 465 that the few extra $$$ involved in the conversion over an add-on overdrive is more than worth it. I even went so far as to fit a Chrysler synchronized reverse gear to my '98 GM NV4500 (I hear that the 2000 and 2001 GM versions of the NV4500 now have synchronized reverse gears, but I don't know that to be true).

WRT the brakes, it's a LONG story about how I ended up with the master and booster I used. I guess it's easiest to say that the volume and spring rates in the master, coupled with the proportioning valve I wanted to use set me on that path. Over the years, I have found that the high assist/long throw boosters have worked better with all-disc conversions than the more traditional vacuum boosters. GM also found this so, because if you look at any of their all-disc cars (Corvettes, Cadillacs, WS-6 Firebirds), you will find the long throw boosters installed. All I needed to do was find a booster that had the right input pushrod length and bolt pattern to mount up to the Blazer's contrived linkage system, and had an output pushrod of compatible diameter and length for the master cylinder I chose.

Uhhh... Wax... Yeah, the Blazer needs that (so do my other cars).

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Thanks Steve,I was wondering what your 4 wheel disc set-up looked like.Nice job,clean and professional looking.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

7. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve and all
    Sorry for the multiple posts - I was getting a server error message... Thanks for the info - really nice example of how to improve the beast's mechanical weak points without using dough for brains. I will probably be in touch with you soon asking for more help and advice on the NV4500.
    Thanks again
    JB

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dr Chin, [​IMG]

As I was checking out your new website photos, I realized that you may have inadvertently answered my lingering question about the factory tach.

I have a factory tach in my '72 CST, and I can't help but feel that it reads too high at highway speeds. You mentioned that a factory tach combined with HEI may have accuracy problems. Would you care to eloborate on this.....?

To the best of your knowledge, could a "speedo repair-type shop" setup the original tach to work with HEI? I'd like to keep the stock look, but have the accuracy of a more modern gauge.

-Greg72
    'Tach says 3500RPM....but my guts says it's lower than that' [​IMG]

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have rear disks on my 14 bolt, would that master cylinder work for me too? I have heard a few times about switching to a 79-81 4 wheel disk equiped camaro master cylinder, would this also work? If I do that, should I take the booster too? I want a smaller booster to clear the sheilds I am making to replace my inner fenders (Swampers cost to much to slice on sheetmetal). Thanks!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

10. Steve_Chin

Thanks, BobK...

JungleBoy, don't sweat that multiple post thing. I've done the same thing when getting server error messages. &lt;GRIN&gt; When you're getting ready to do your NV swap, let me know. I'm getting ready to help my hunting partner do one on his Blazer.

Greg72: The tachs from the late '60s and early '70s were set up to work with points ignition. Points put out a different signal than an electronic ignition does. I have heard of guys building a filter circuit to increase the accuracy of an early tachometer with their HEIs (they are still not all that accurate, but they're better). I didn't research that much more because I really wanted a tachometer that would read higher than the stock truck tach. and would be less of a hassle (although the modifications I eventually had to perform were kind of a hassle). It's still not extremely accurate (thanks, GM for putting 10% and 20% tolerance parts into the thing)...

Biggray71: The Seville master is virtually identical to the Firebird 4-wheel disc masters (no Camaros had 4-wheel discs in the second generation). The Firebird booster will not fit in a Blazer because it has a bracket riveted to its body. That's why I chose the G-body booster over the Firebird booster (I had 4 Firebird boosters sitting here when I made that decision). Also, don't forget to get the proportioning valve off of the Seville!

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

I like it!
    And that Regal booster looks good under there, I should have saved the booster off the '86 before I junked it.
    I'm kickin myself now.

Gettin ideas for my Blazer, hehe.

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", Olive green and primer, rusted out, rice smasher!