Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Place to wheel........

Discussion in 'Plains Region' started by KrebsATM02, Jun 5, 2002.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm president of Texas A&M offroad, and was invited to a meeting about two weeks ago in austin to discuss a new place to wheel. There is preliminary run on June 22-23 to see if the guy wants to open his land up. Here are the details:

1) This new offroading venue is just outside of Mason, Texas, about 30 miles west of Llano on highway 29. It is 800 acres of granite. Not mud, not sand, granite. If you are not familiar with the pros and cons of granite wheeling, please ask and I or someone else will inform you.

2) 800 acres sounds piddly next to Barnwell's 1800. But Barnwell is mostly covered with trees, and there are a lot of flat trails leading to the real ones. This Mason location probably actually has MORE wheeling than Barnwell.

3) This land is owned by a rancher, but is useless for anything agricultural. His lawyer, an offroader, suggested he might open it up for OHV use. The price is a bit steep, but evens out to Barnwell when you consider how much closer it is. We were told it is $25 a day with an extra $5 per passenger. This may change if the property is successful

4) Austin Fourwheelers is sponsoring a run out there on Saturday, June 22nd, to see what it is like. We would like as much participation as possible on this run. Once again, none of us have been out there yet, so we can't report on the terrain, but parts of it look fun, other parts just downright damn scary. These are not trails, however, but just open land, so bypasses shouldn't be an issue.

5) The website has images of the terrain on a rotating slideshow at the homepage. If you find your way to the message board and CLUB NEWS you can locate the release form that will be needed to enter the property.

Here is a link to the page some pictures are on http://site23684.dellhost.com/main.html

It's the pictures that rotate

Hope to see some of ya'll out there - Doug

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am in for sat.
    let me know where to meet.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'm going to do my best to see if I can attend.. if my truck is done and I can get the day's off... i'm keeping my finger's crossed..

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Man i wish you could start the axle swap so the K5 would be ready.

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

this place looks pretty cool. the granite looks alot like whats out on the slab.

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Hey big daddy hope you plan on going. Lets have a big turn out. I will be their come hell or high water. It will be the first trip after all the mods. I sure hope it hold together.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've been wondering about this place for a while but I probably won't be able to make this time. I'm going to the slab at the end of the month though if anyone's interested in going with me....

8. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

A new place would be awesome. I am going to plan on going.

Anyone have an idea on where to meet?

Thomas.

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

BILLY RAY,
    Not being one to punk out, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif well this time I'm going to have to. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Last run we had at the Nueces I cashed out my steering, my box doesn't hold any fluid and my pump is about to go. On top of that I smashed my stabilizer and bent my tierod on some rock out there. So with that I'm counting my pennies /forums/images/icons/smile.gif to get the ORD crossover and a rockrod and hoping I'll have it ready for July 4th weekend.

ric

10. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Oh well it would be nice to have you there but I understand the penny thing. It will be me first trip since the build up so who knows what will happen to my rig.I may break every /forums/images/icons/blush.gif thing.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

FYI I just read on the Austin Four Wheeler's site that a rancher owns the land and there is a fee of $25 and $5 for each passenger and you have to sign a waiver that says you cant sue if you break somethin and blah blah blah. but I don't think that's too expensive and you can't blame the guy for protecting himself......

12. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

If you go to the A&M( above) site you can print up the form.
    Don't wait It needs a couple of sigs /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .

13. KrebsATM02

Hey ya'll email me if your going to attend. Dkrebs@neo.tamu.edu I'll see where we should meet, time, etc... If ya'll have any quetions email me them and i'll try my best to get them answered. - Doug

14. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Thanks man I will be going. How about a map? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I'm going to go, I have off that friday, so I might head down early, who else is going? is there somewhere we could meet up? when would you be leaving?

16. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am trying to get a map to where we are going at that point we could plan a meeting spot. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

How about we just meet in Mason, on the town square (it's a tiny place, easy to find, i would suggest on the south side of the square, in front of the Mason National Bank. It's the biggest building around there, so it should be easy to spot.

18. KrebsATM02

I emailed the president of Austion Fourwheelers about a map and such, so hopefully i'll get back to ya'll soon!

19. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Please get a map to us as soon as you can Thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. KrebsATM02

Sorry guys, i'm still working on this, no one is responding to emails /forums/images/icons/mad.gif