Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New plans for a new system

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Bullet, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

OK here is something I had in mind for a new setup for a system:
    [​IMG]

The red ovals in the rear are 6x9's
    The boxes are going to be simular to the boxes like Greg72 with two JL audio or RF 10" firing towards the seats.
    The green circles are 6" speakers in Q-form Kick panels
    The little blue circles are 3" Alpine speakers that are currently in the dash.

How does this set-up look?

I have some left over amps from my last system, like a RF 200a amp. Would that be enough to power the speakers and then get a new amp to power the subs? I have a Clarion head unit with 45x4 output. What kind of amp should I look into to run dual 10's?

And what name brand do y'all reccomend for the 6x9's and 6" speakers. BTW, I plan on running a softtop for the majority of the spring and summer, so thats why the subs are so close. With a softop, I realize there will be a reduction in sound, but am I beating a dead horse here?

Any input would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it was me I would sell the RF amp because the sound quality is poor with those amps but if you don't run a lot of power to the lows than 200 watts split 4 ways should be enough for the highs. I would probably run your little 3 inchers with the deck. The guy that owns the stereo shop that installed my system has a box like you wan't in his K5 but it has 4 audio bahn 10's. I think Arc Audio makes excellent amps, JL audio, audio bahn, mmats, pheonix gold, zapco. I would stay away from lightning audio,RF,JBL alpine sub amps, basically cheap stuff because sound quality will suffer.

As far as the soft top goes...you will loose a lot of boomy bass but it will be nice for on the trail when you wan't tunes when wrenching. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Sorry I meant to say JL audio subs...

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry I meant to say JL audio subs...

[/ QUOTE ] What JL's do you have? If you are looking for a pair, I have 3 10w3v2's and they hit hard. The wo series are realy nice for an "economy" sub. wo's are about $100 and w3v2's are around $200.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want some really good subs, check out Treo Engineering .

[/ QUOTE ] And if you wan't to check out some better subs go to www.jlaudio.com /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you want some really good subs, check out Treo Engineering .

[/ QUOTE ] And if you wan't to check out some better subs go to www.jlaudio.com /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Please, Treo's are way better then JL's. I've listoned too both on the same amp and the Treo's put the JL's to shame !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Only thing that sounded better was the MMATS Juggernauts, but those are extream high dollor.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Please, Treo's are way better then JL's.

[/ QUOTE ]Bahhahahahahah! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I have heard a pair of treo's before too and I thought they sucked...

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Please, Treo's are way better then JL's.

[/ QUOTE ]Bahhahahahahah! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I have heard a pair of treo's before too and I thought they sucked...

[/ QUOTE ] Were they on a dirty amp ??? Wrong air space box ??? Vastly underpowered ??? I heard them in a car stereo store where they hooked them up to a US Amp , then moved a box with JL Audio's in and hooked them up to the same amp, played the same song, and clearly the Treo's sounded louder and clearer. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The Treo SSX's put the JL Audio (Forget what model, but was one off thier top of the line models) to shame !!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have friends with both the SSX and SS models and they strait pound !!!!!!!! Read me [ QUOTE ]
    “Winning is everything these days,” notes Craig Smith, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Treo Engineering. “We’re delighted to be able to represent Treo Engineering because its products have won dB Drag Racing competition and set national records in every country in which we have sold them. After less than a year with the Treo Engineering product, our customers have set numerous SPL records, including the Overall World Record of 177.6 dB set in November this year at the dB Drag Racing World Finals in Nashville. That’s incredible. And they have subwoofers in every category, from single coil up to quad coil. Treo’s time has come, and we’re pleased to have the chance to take their products to market.”

[/ QUOTE ]

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

So, ANYWAYS...back to my post and what y'all think about it. C'mon with the thousands of members we have here all I can get is one reply on it? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. rjfguitar

I'm still not one bit impressed by teo... I have never heard a better sounding sub in my life than a good JL. I also heard the teo's in a stereo shop through the same zapco amp that was powering the JL's...I was pushing the buttons going from one sub to the other. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe at blazer bash next year you and I can have a db drag and we will se who has the sh!t or just plain sh!t. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

One thing is for certian, you have an abundant supply! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    So, ANYWAYS...back to my post and what y'all think about it. C'mon with the thousands of members we have here all I can get is one reply on it? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'm tapped out...I told you what I thought. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I appreciate your thoughts, its just that everyone else doesn't care to chime in /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. H0BBEZ

H0BBEZ Registered Member

Before I traded my '89 for a first gen. I was working on a similar setup with Greg72-esque sub boxes and all.

In the back I had Infinity 6x9's (6953i I think? Not sure but I know they were 3-way) which I really liked. The problem was that once I tested it with the subs in place, given their poor direction and the subs being ported towards the rear, I couldn't really hear a difference with or without the 6x9’s hooked up in while sitting in the front seat and even in the back they didn't add much.

So my plan was to remove the back speakers all together and test with them up in the doors...but I never got that far. Given the soft-top factor though I think you’d be better off doing something like that.

16. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i dont think the speakers in the back will do much good if the subs are infront of them. youll never even hear the six by nines. the subs will drown them out.

17. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Okay...hmmm... Other than the doors, where would be another good location to get the best sound? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My thoughts are those 6x9 boxs attached to sides by the back of the rear seat. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay...hmmm... Other than the doors, where would be another good location to get the best sound? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always just build them into the floor......

[​IMG]

Not much money, just a lot of time...... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

what about cutting a hole in the rollbar. it the speakers arent that deep they might fit in there. but then theyed be really close to your head and really loud making the whole system sound bad. maybe you could cut a hole right behind the frint seats where the floor kind of steps up. mount them there and weld a box for the backside, so the back of the speaker isnt exposed the the outside. that might weaken the body though. and it sounde really hard. if you biuld those sub boxes you have planned you could mount a six by nine box ontop of them so they would still be close to you. i think you would need a deck or amp that could change output for each speaker though. otherwise you could get a system where it sounde way out of porportion.