Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Pontiac G8!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Col_Sanders, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Looks like the jetta's bigger, more badass brother! i'll take it.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's the same platform that they are going to build the camaro on. It will be made in Australia so the lead time is going to be terrible. But I'll gladly take your order and a deposit now.:D

4. Col_Sanders

So do you know when it will actually be here and the pricing??

5. gmc4cw

Like the GTO this will be a disaster in the making when it comes to arrival time. we were told next march.:rolleyes: we'll see. you better believe that the awesome rims they show in the pics will be replaced with something boring. sometimes GM can't take their head out of their own A$$ long enough to realize what people like about their concepts.

GM is trying to take Pontiac back to it's performance roots. More RWD cars. more coupes and convertibles, less blah same as everything else. Let chevy and saturn build sedans and econo boxes.

GM would do great if they set up the brands as follows.

Cadillac-luxury cars.

GMC-trucks and commercial, think vans, box trucks, dump trucks, nothing unibody.

Chevy-cars and crossover suvs.

Pontiac-sports cars. no sedans unless it has a supercharged V6 or a V8

Saturn-get rid of it completely, its a plastic version of chevy.

Buick-also get rid of, basically a stepping stone from chevy to caddy.

Hummer-this brand will eventually implode and be assumed by GMC dealers.

these are not thoughts that are individually held by me. most of the dealership agrees that GM needs a kick to the head. mostly to dislodge it from it's A$$.

going to a product launch is fun. 200 salesman all in agreement that the concept was better being told how great the real product is. At least they serve lunch.

6. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

just what we need another car made of plastic.. bring back the old skool muscle cars..

ray

7. Col_Sanders

I agree with most of that, but think they should keep Saturn around and also sell trucks with the Chevy label. I wish they would quit focusing everything on soccer moms and Hummer.

8. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

yesterdays

I just wish they were still like this

[​IMG]

9. gmc4cw

everything saturn sells is offered by another brand. when they started out they were different. now they build right out of the parts bin.

10. Col_Sanders

Previous statement about Saturn retracted.

I like the Sky better than the Solstice though.

11. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

hey look, a 4 door gto... just call it a lemans and be done with it...

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Acually it is a replacement for the Grand Prix.
    I have to give GM credit for competing head to head with the Charger. Given a choice between the 2. I would take the G8 hands down. Even tho it does look like a Jetta:D . Chargers are just Butt Ugly.
    Unlike the GTO which flopped. The G 8 may work in the performance sedan market. The 6 speed manual trans is a plus. 36K aint bad for a performance sedan. That's about what the Charger Daytona SRT go for. Dont think Chargers even come with manual trans. I cant believe dodge has the nerve to call them "Muscle Cars"

Still waiting for the Camaro :rolleyes: I hope it isn't priced Sky Hi like the GTO. It will never compete with the Mustang unless it is affordable

13. gmc4cw

the first camaro's are going to be out of this world expensive. Dealers aren't dumb, they always order fully loaded ones to start. When the Solstice came out we were selling them for $2000 over sticker and people were coming out the woodwork because we were the cheapest around. now I have 4 on the lot. The Camaro will be the same for the first year. If you want one, wait two years after they are released and buy used. let everyone else lose their shirt on the deal.

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I'll take one in black.

15. quicker

quicker 1/2 ton status

I look at it this way.

Gm and ford are the last two American builders.

There is no real leader now as the market is over packed with tones of crap, funny how the imports are proud of the overwhelming portion of crap they hold.

So gm and ford are the last chance at real cars for real Americans. The solstice and sky and the new vette are great examples of kick a$$ engineering. Unfortunately the bread and butter will always be turn over of reliable 9-5 mom cars.

If gm stopped making there production units bland and underrated then you would have nothing to personalize them with and make them unique. Yes you could follow the unistyle so loved by the communists. Everyone gets the same boring gray egg shape car.

PUKE!

A great example is the new gto it is very very understated but test drive it and you are actually driving a grand am with a nice v8. So change the cladding with aftermarket parts and wala your riding American power and individuality. I would love to see the gto outfitted with twin sts turbo and watch it eat rice all day long.

lol seriously test drive Gm’s "ugly" gto and really let it shine. You will be surprised how much fun gm really is.

All that said have you noticed the gm truck configuration is looking alot like the 73-75 front end.....I wonder if they plan on a new Blazer????hmmm.

Maybe something with the new big big block....hmmm

Support American families buy American.

16. Col_Sanders

What the hell are you thinking?

You shouldnt have to spend several thousand extra AFTER buying a new car to make it look decent. So you think that cars should be made ugly and you should have to make it look good?

The GTO is NOT a Grand Am with a V8, they have nothing in common except a similar look. The GTO is a rebadged Holden. Totally different, just like the G8 will be. The GTO, much like I assume this will be, is better engineered and put together than any other current GM car (Caddys exempt).

17. Col_Sanders

Personally, I love the GTO and if I had the money and could talk the wife into getting a 2 door, I would be all over it. Unfortunately she thinks we need a 4 door so I am stuck with my Mazda6 for now.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm pretty sure Toyota has much more US content than GM or Ford or Chrysler...

I'm still a diehard GM guy, but the "Buy American" logic doesn't actually hold water when comparing the big three to the imports anymore.

Rene

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thats pretty funny concidering GTO and G8 and the soon to come Camaro are imports.
    I am glad the Aussies have not forgotten how to build a performance vehicle.

You ought to check out the Typhoon F6 (Aussie Ford) 360 HP out of a 4.0 inline 6. A simple increase in boost and you have a 500 hp monster. That, is how to build a sports sedan

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  20. Col_Sanders

Aussies without a doubt get the best cars.

xr8 ute.jpg

holden ute.jpg

holden.jpg