Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New problem with my burb [I need some insite]

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sponsoredbydad, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok 87 burb 350 stock/ tbi /new headers 2wk old/none of that should matter thou. Last week while driving on freeway [ aprox 70mph ] my lifters started ticking like there was no oil in the motor. I pulled off and checked and to my suprise it was less than a qt low. So I then drove to my destenation and parked the rig. On the way I took side streets driving much slower than on the frwy and the noise got less and less. After a couple of hours went to drive it home and it was fine no lifter noise at all. I thought wow it fixed it'self and forgot about it untill yesterday and it did it again about 25 min into the trip again I was on the frwy. Pulled off and within 10 min at lower speeds it went quiet . Think oil pump is not working at higher speeds? I thought it would be the other way not able to pump at lower speeds if it was going bad? Am I wrong? I need some advise before I try and pull off the oil pan and can it be done with out pulling the engine? I'm kinda lost on this :confused:

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

look inside the valve cover to see if there is any sludge. It's possible that if the return passages are clogged, the oil is slow to return to the pan, and at high speeds there is more oil going up top then is returning to the bottom.

3. sponsoredbydad

I just replaced my valve cover gaskets when I was installing the headers every thing looked great at that time.

I'm going to try new oil filter and qt of marvel mystery oil if that don't work then some motor flush and another oil change. I'm just not excited about pulling the pan {oil pump}.

chris

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I've seen oil pumps seem to work fine until the oil heats up 10-15minutes later and have 0 oil pressure usually means you have a spun bearing on the bottom end and when it heats up the tolerances open up and force less oil up top

5. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep, could be a problem with the mains. Is your oil pressure gauge/light working?

6. sponsoredbydad

I only have a stock oil psi guage and it appears to work but that was the last thing on my mind to look at when that god awful noise started. I'm gona go run it on the frwy tonite got the oil changed and added marvel mystery oil hopefully it's the trick if not looks like I might have a project this wknd.

7. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Keep an eye on your pressure. See if it drops any and how much, when or if it happens again.