Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new problem

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Jun 23, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

ok. got a 72 k5 with a 350 (just hit 78,000 miles). a few months ago, i had a new stereo put in (mp3 player in center console) with a 200 watt amp, 2 10 inch subs, and 2 speakers.

the blazer has stock ac, and about a month ago, the pully on the compressor came apart. i had it replaced and have had the ac on ever since.

you might ask why these two things are related. well, thats my question. whenever i turn the fan switch off, the speakers go out. the cds still play (the track timer is still running) but no sound.

its been doing this for a couple of weeks, and it hasn't bothered me b/c i just keep the fan on. well, this morning i turned the fan off, and the engine started acting up. it started to loose power, and it backfired. when i turned the fan back on, it went back to normal.

does anybody have any clue what could be happening? like i said, the radio thing didn't bother me that much, but now that the engine is starting to act up when it is off - that has got me kinda worried...

hailey

p.s. at least for now i've got a cheap anti-theft device - turn off the fan and it won't go anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like you have a wire crossed someplace /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

That might have been the P.O. cheap way of keeping it to himself. I've thought of that one too, just haven't gotten around to it. Just splice the coil wire to run through the switch, then a HD relay or solenoid, and voila!! A non-running piece-of-crap to whoever might want to steal it. I'd find out what is wired into there and just make a note of it myself and leave it. Just make sure that YOU know how it's wired and you should be good to go.

HTH,

Buddy

4. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

You also might want to check your grounding points and clean them. Electronics do really weird things when they aren't grounded properly.

Dave Jr

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I would check all of the grounds on the engine and AMP. Then, it sounds like they could have hooked up the AMP incorrectly. There are two power wires on an AMP, a large red wire that is always hot and a switch wire that is supposed to be hooked to the stereo. With the engine off, turn the key to ON. Turn on the fan and turn off the stereo. Is the AMP on? If so it's the switch wire (I think they are usually blue, yellow or orange). Make sure the large red wire on the AMP goes directly to the battery. I like to fuse them at the battery also incase of a short. One of the stereo guys might have some more hints?

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Your switched wire that POFF is talking about is going to be the thin blue wire coming off of the amp. It will be blue for sure if it is a newer amp kit that was wired in, however, pretty much any wire can be used (ie. a 16 gauge speaker wire or something). It is possible with your truck as it is with many old trucks that the wiring behind the dash is less than perfect. Whoever installed your amp may have tied that blue automatic amp turn-on switch into the fan control since that is switched power (although a different kind of switched power). Pull out your deck (don't forget to use the tools that came with it or you will have a helluva time getting it out of its DIN cage) and check the wires on the back. There will be a single blue wire, if there is nothing attached to it, there should be. This is your automatic amp turnon switch wire. If it is connected, make sure it is not crossed with any other wires (it shouldn't be), and trace it to your amp to make sure it is hooked up. As poof said, the amp should only turn on when the CD player is turned on. As far as your engine trouble goes, that's over my head. If you have any more questions on your stereo system you can PM me or just post it up here. I sold and installed them up until this year when I came back to school.
    -Andrew