Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Project?? But I don't know where to start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm tossing around the idea of build up my 86 Jeep Cherokee. It's bone stock with a 2.8L V6 and I have no idea on the trans or xfer-case. It's been my back up and DD for a while now but I know am using mostly a newer Suzuki. Anyway I'm wondering if it might be worth building into a mild offroader. The key word here would be cheap. Since this would only be temporary until the blazer is done. And nothing crazy. I was just thinking of a little lift, gears, lockers and tires. The big plus would be I have a trailer this would fit on. I really don't know where to start on this. Or should I just abandoned the idea all together.

Where would be a good place to check prices on parts? for this thing.

[​IMG]

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

just finsh the project! don't waste your money on that XJ (even though I love XJs and sometimes want to get rid of my burb to get one).. anyways, u have the blue blazer to wheel so wheel that like u have been all this time.... and put your money into the project.... last thing u need is to dump 1-2k plus in that xj with a lift, gears, lockers etc. when u can be so much close to finishing yout project....

but if u insist to build that up.... do some serching on pirate... the axles are D35R/D30F and the xfer might be a np231 don't really remeber.... plus it's only a 2.6 really weak..... now if that was a 4.0 I might be asking if u might want to get rid of it lol......this is what I want.... :)

100_0680_640x480.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  3. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

check some back issues of peterson's 4wheel and offroad. they did a build up and it ended up being pretty beastie. i would buy a cheap 4inch kit hack the fenders throw on some 32 swampers and lock it front and rear w/ lockrights. also some rocker protection, that will also help the body flex problem them unibodys have.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I dont suppose that has a towing package? some of the early xjs that came with the towing package have dana44 rearends.

The v-6 sucks and you may have the Peugot trans which really sucks. plus thats carbureted right? so that sucks even more.

I think If I were to build an XJ project I would start with a different one

Oh and here's a pic of my buddys 92 XJ (4.6L Stroker, 5-speed, 6" lift and 33s)
    [​IMG]

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

6. iwaxmyjimmy

lol yes i laughed my ass off the whole time

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

8. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Spend your money on existing projects in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love XJ's, but that isn't the one to build a wheeler out of. For one, its too clean, especially for an older one, to beat on. Secondly, it has probably the least desireable drivetrain for wheeling at least (except the 4cyl) ever put into an XJ (60deg V-6, possibly pugeot trans, probably NP207 t-case, D35 rear, might even be vacuum disconnect front d30, carbeurated). If you want to wheel an XJ start with a later model one with non disco front, 8.25 rear, 4.0, AW4, and NP231. Spend some time browsing over at www.naxja.org before you do anything to it. But again, as clean as that one appears to be and since you've got a wheeling project already, leave it stock. Maybe a budget boost (like $100 2" lift...front coil spacers, rear blocks, shackles, or add-a-leaves, stock shocks will still work) and a set of 31's on stock wheels (may have to extend the bump stops or do some mild trimming). Then throw a cheap locker in the rear to tide you over until the chevy's done.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

X2:D

10. iwaxmyjimmy

a guy in the local club here has a XJ w/ a rubi t-case and 33s. he locked just the front and ive seen it do some amazing things.

11. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

find some cheap tires, wheel it as is while continuing to DD it.

finish the blazer!

12. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

My dad bought me a 1988 XJ with the 4.0, and before I got to drive it I got my liscense suspended for 90 days... Ended up driving it twice... Never got to put it in 4wd... Sold it and a month later the motor blew up... Moral of the story sell it and put the money towards the blazer...