Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New project I started today

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Muddytazz, May 24, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Roof rack?

What'd do to your poor old shed in the background pic #1.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Roof rack for the burb yes.

The poor little shed was beat to death by the ram trying to get to the ewe (sheep) LMAO

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

how are you going to fasten it to the roof? double plates and through bolts?

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't do it that way. It needs to give some. I would use 3-4 legs per side and use 1/4-20 well nuts. They seal up and reduce vibration since they have rubber around the outside of them. Basically, it is the same setup as the stock roof racks. It works well.

I know someone that put a pretty stout rack on his rough and used plates/through bolts. He snagged a tree branch on a camping trip w/ his family. The branch was just strong enough to rip half his top off. Nice big 2" holes in his roof. :doah:

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There is going to be 4 plates mounted per side with the well-nuts like shane mentioned. The on the rack there is going to be a clamping device so that the rack can be removable without leaving holes in the roof.

Something along these lines:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Just need to find some other different versions to see what exactly I want to do. Would be nice to find any rig locally that has one to see what theirs is like in person.

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Nice rack!! :blush:

You'll still have to drill holes :frown1:

I've been toying with the idea of putting some rain gutter rails on my Blazer, so I could transfer my Suburban roof rack back and forth between the two truck. The commercial mounting system I have on the Suburban has little 6" sections bolted into the body using wellnuts. I feel the full length ones would distribute the wieght of the load more evenly. I will get some better pics of the mounts and the rails I had made hopefully tommorow when it is light outside. I had a sheetmetal shop construct the rails with a press brake and some heavy guage sheet.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The only trouble with the rain gutter method on the burb, is the back side windows do not have the rain gutters. And with the fact that my rack is 120" long (from about 3" away from front windshield and a couple inches away from the back).

9. tomseviltwin

The raingutters on a Suburban cannot support wieght. Look closely and notice that there is a plate right above the factory ones. The last picture is the piece I had made.

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe a retardo question, but do you frequently haul so much stuff that it can't fit inside a suburban? thats a bad a$$ rack ya got... just wondering what you're hauling around that actually warrants all that interior space and the rack...

j

11. tomseviltwin

I load that puppy up on every camping trip we take. I've got 4 kids, 2 wives, and a dog :grin: The three bench seats do not leave alot of extra room for all the junk you need to take off for a week. We usually have a couple tents, six sleeping bags, camp chairs, firewood, cots, a few dufflebags of clothes, and two canoes that stack up there. We usually put a couple coolers on a reciever hitch rack too. It can honestly hold 500lbs in this configuration. Just don't run over a strap connected to it and you'll be allright.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

say no more! lol! ;) Im kidless and big-pet-less... so sometimes I don't think of this stuff in the same way. I can hardly ever even max out the stoarge capacity of my ford ranger, let alone a 'burb. ;) :grin: anyway, nice rack!

j