Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New project in the works - custom front spring mounting brackets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 6, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Brackets are about ready to tack weld everything together. I changed the way I am going to put the angle on, I made it go across the top of the bracket(intead of welding it inside the two brackets, having to depend on the welds only for strength), hopefully it supports more weight that way /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to cut the top plate tomorrow and gusset the outside brackets, all the brackets will weld to the front tube for the bumper, then I will run a 1x3" rectangle tube from inside bracket to inside bracket. The lower tube and top plate will bolt to the frame, then inside mounting plate has three bolts and then to two bolts that go into the body mount cup! I think that should be enough hardware up front.

Update 2
    not 100% sure but I bought plunty of steel to play with... Got a 12' piece of 6" wide 1/4" steel for $18!

[​IMG]
    IN this picture the drawing of the eye you can see on the cardboard is the location of the hanger in the stock location.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have some ideas for bracing, just didn't have time to get things cut today. Man it was hot!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rear echobit flip/56's and 14bolt #3 (3.73 open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's the D44 4.10, 14bolt 5.13 welded, 14bolt 4.56 need put together!

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: New project in the works

So as I understand it, you made the body weigh six metric tons, and now you want to put it on another frame?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like how you plan things, great job!

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

and you're going to run 1 axle w/4:56's and 1 w/5:13's???

4. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

don't worry im confused also

5. jjlaughner

Here's the axles parts list

10bolt 8lug 5.13's mini spool (awaiting 8lug convertion)
    14BFF 5.13's welded gov loc (getting shaved and cleaned up
    14bff 4.56's (looking for a govloc or open 4.56 diff)
    14bff 3.73 open (under frame for mockups, and to get it out of the garage)
    D44 4.10's with flat tops (using 8lug parts and flat tops on the 10bolt 5.13 axle)
    12bolt 3.08 gov lock (out of my old blazer)

5.13 axles going under the project truck
    4.56 14bolt going in Silver truck and regear front 10bolt to 4.56 with my auburn
    the rest of the axles are parts and pieces

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    So as I understand it, you made the body weigh six metric tons, and now you want to put it on another frame?

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like how you plan things, great job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah something about doing all the work of lifting and doing mods to the rusty frame didn't seen real smart.... then Matt (Outlaw612) hooked me up with a deal I couldn't pass up on a clean 86 frame! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Hopefully the frame mods will be done by the end of the month and I can throw a party at my house and have somepeople help me swap the body over /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. jjlaughner

bump /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Hey, could you send me some more detailed pictures of those hangers and just a finished sketch of what they will look like when finished? They are very similar to what I was thinking about for my truck but you had a better design IMO.

Thanks,
    Remington

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Sweet Fiero!!

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Sweet Fiero!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its FOR SALE! $2500 its got less than 90K miles on it and runs great... the brakes squeek because there rotors rust over inbetween the times we drive it... its usually just in the way. Dad was going to restore all the rubber and paint it for a cruiser but lost interest.

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey, could you send me some more detailed pictures of those hangers and just a finished sketch of what they will look like when finished? They are very similar to what I was thinking about for my truck but you had a better design IMO.

Thanks,
    Remington

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay tuned, Hopefully it will be done within the next week /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Have you thought of listing it over on Pennocks Fiero Forum?

I spend a fair bit of time over there too, if I wasn't in the middle of an engine swap with my 86 SE, I'd be interested in the GT
    The first place I'd take it is to Archies and get a chop top done /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I want a chop top GT with an LT5 and the caddy tranny (4spd OD), my wife wants me to leave her 86 notchback alone once it has a new motor.

PFF

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

The first place I'd take it is to Archies and get a chop top done /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif How tall are you? I'm only 5'8" and my head almost hits the roof. Crawling in and out after jumping up into the blazer and the whole height difference while driving and not being able to see traffic sucks!

I call it the rolling caulfin. Its too damn small, fast and small = not good for my health! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

(passed the link along to my pops, see what he says about listing it on there) It needs painted and probley tires if your wanting to run 75! We put new tires on it in 95 and have only put 1500miles on them but they are weather checked pretty bad.

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I'm 5'10" and it's a tight fit in my stock 86, but I love the look of the chop tops!
    [​IMG]
    They just look so slick, and so much faster./forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I bought mine with about $500 worth of new tires on it, too bad the motor let go two days later /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'd rather drive my Burb than the Fiero but it is fun once and awhile too.
    I'd hate to get in a wreck with it though /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif