Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New project truck, fake lift and axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5beast, Aug 1, 2000.

1. k5beast

k5beast Registered Member

OK, I just bought a 79 K5, at first sight it looks like it has about a 3" lift. The front had the stock springs (leaf) replaced with 3/4 ton springs, the sway bar is there and it has 1 shock on either side. Now the rear is bad, stock springs, with 3" blocks under them, no shocks, or anything, the only thing holding the rearend on is the springs! The axles are the standard 10 bolt front/12 bolt rear(needs new gears soon).

So the question is..... Where can I get a reasonably priced kit to fix the lift CORRECTLY and SAFELY. A part number would help. And what are any suggestions for new axles, my idea was to either keep the rear or put a 14 bolt in it, and put a dana 44 up front. Thanks.

The Beast, feed me a Jeep!
    79 K5 project

2. 78k5

78k5 1/2 ton status

I put a 6" superlift on mine a couple of months back, I love the way it rides and feels. If you go with a 6" you will need to lengthen your driveshafts.

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't like blocks either. As far as I know the only thing that holds the axle on is the springs. Shocks are great, but they mostly dampen the "bounce". Take a look at the tech section on this site's home page for an article on shackle flips. It might be just what you're looking for.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would just get a name brand lift kit of whatever height you want to correct the half-a**ed one you have. If you plan on wheelin it hard once in a while you might want to upgrade to the FF 14bolt/Dana 44 8 lug axles. Its easier to bolt in the 3/4 ton version than the one ton version, because of spring pad locations. The 3/4 ton is pretty well a direct bolt in, except for the shock mounts (on mine anyways). The 3/4 ton 14 bolt also has the 11.5" brakes whereas the 1 ton has the 13" brakes. I never had to upgrade the master cylinder with 11.5" brakes, and they work just fine (they are still bigger brakes than the 1/2 ton stuff I had) The only draw-back to all of this was having to run 16.5" or 16" rims. I've heard that they make 15" rims with the 8 bolt pattern but I don't know how much $ that would be or where to find them. I went with the factory steel 16.5x 6.75 rims and stuffed 35x12.5x16.5 General Grabber MT's on them. I know, everyone will tell you that the rim is too narrow. I've been running this combo for 2 years and 40,000 miles. I still have over 50% tread left on them with no un-even wear, I have aired them down as low as 15 psi without losing a bead in the rocks, and not only that but I like the semi-stock look of them (painted black with dog-dish chevy hub caps)

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There is no benefit to swapping out your 10 Bolt for a Dana 44 unlees you are going to an 8lug bolt pattern. Both the 44 and the 10 bolt are equal in strength... The only way to benefit with a swap like this is to either swap out the 10 bolt because the 44 has the gears you want or because you are going to an 8 lug wheel pattern.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey, there is no problem with using 3/4 ton front springs for lifting a sagging vehicle. If you require bigger tires and the 3/4 ton springs do not provide enough lift, then by all means go grab a new magazine and check the ads out. But, if the tires you want; fit your truck, dont waste your time. The Engineers at GM did their homework. The 3/4 ton springs are good springs as long as they have not been over-loaded. For the rear, I would go with a home built Shackle Flip. This should give you about 3.5"-4" of lift. If your truck sets level with the 3" blocks, it should be fine with this setup. You will probably have a real flexy rig with the stock 3/4 ton springs and the shackle flip. Just buy some good quality Rancho 9012 shocks for all around and there you go! A budget lift kit. You could probably do a tech article on this! Believe me, after buying some lift springs for my rig, I wish I would have left it stock. It rides real bouncy and handles like crap.
    On the axles; unless you are going with 38" tall tires and 400 HP, I would stay with the axles you have and take it easy. Look at the August Blazer of the Month, it has a 10 bolt up front and a 12 bolt out back.

Good luck.

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>