Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New project wheeler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Aug 19, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Project " 1/2 ton lots of fun " has begun . I got the once pretty Blue Blazer from k5redneck who got it from Supersize75 . Heres how it looked when it was getting ready to come home , with lots of help from the AZ regulars ( thanks guys/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif ) . I am now collecting parts and deciding what to do . I know the floor has to go , way too rusted to belive . I want suggestions and ideas , do I go full truggy , or should I smog it and keep it somewhat Blazer looking so I can drive it to the trail /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[​IMG]

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

My vote is somewhat Blazer lookin. Truggys are cool but you don't have anythin capable of towin the thing so keep it legal enough for the state and then bash the snot out of it.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I vote truggy!
    If my body wasn't already done, I'de do it.
    This is "yunit's" truck. He's narrowing the whole body!
    [​IMG]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd put a motor in it the way it is and bash it supersize style in the first two weeks you own it.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

do you have any pics of the floor?

6. pauly383

I can upload later at home . The floor has several patches of various scrap sheet , and the tailpan is homemade too . The passenger seat would of pushed through the floor if I put my Fat a$$ in it . /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Nothing a little /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif won't fix , finally something I can cut up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Marv

8. pauly383

You bend it , I'm game . Gotta get some tube AFTER I pay for the tub and axles . Wouldn't look too bad with the bedsides intact and such /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

BTW Green rims , gotta be Marv /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is what I would do to the back quater panels. Skin them, but reverse of what most people think of when skinning. We did it to Shawn's 75 and it is easy, effectively narrows the rear of the rig a few inches, and I think it looks pretty decent (I am strange though)

[​IMG]

The front I would narrow in with tube like Andrew did and put skinned front fenders on it. Then boatside it, replace the floor, build the cage (tie the seats to the cage), and finish the drivetrain up. There is obviously alot more work to be done then that but you get the picture.

Harley

10. pauly383

I like the narrow front idea , but I don't wnat to lose the area the vapor cannister is at , may have to smog and tag it , since no one will want me towing it with my truck , I could get another 78 cannister though , its narrower so I could still narrow the front . The rear bedsides are kinda cool , but what if I moved the bed sides in so it is narrow , like narrow enough for a trailbox/cell/beer cooler width , but looks like a Blazer ? I am more than likely losing the half cab too , if cage and floor are proper for roolovers /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You could narrow the rear in more but you will loose alot of space for stuff. As it is you will be as narrower then most all the other rigs here in AZ with just cutting off the outside of the QP's. I don't really see the need for narrowing it much more then the skinning will do. It will make the rear 6" narrower then stock. Most everyone here is still running full width rears with little problem. They take alot of rash but thats it.

The canister doesn't have to be in the factory location. YOu can move it around as long as the lines hook up to it. Hell most of the people at DMV don't even know what hooks up to it, as long as lines run to it and run somewhere that looks halfway right you will pass.

Harley

12. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Hell most of the people at DMV don't even know what hooks up to it, as long as lines run to it and run somewhere that looks halfway right you will pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mine , which is an 83 , to look at for routing hoses . Where else can it go ? Don't want it too close to a heat source , and away from moving stuff .

Perhaps some of you guys should come over and help me /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif . After we start , I will probably like it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is what I would do to the back quater panels. Skin them, but reverse of what most people think of when skinning. We did it to Shawn's 75 and it is easy, effectively narrows the rear of the rig a few inches, and I think it looks pretty decent (I am strange though)

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHH HA! now that explains alot... I always thought Shawns (old) k5's rear looked different, and had some kind of wacky fender flares... now I understand!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Thats a awesome idea! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. pauly383

I started another thread about the cage and floor Clicky . Going to go in a street legal cut and whacked safe wheeler for big dog trail approach . Keeping the front fenders narrowed , and skinning the rear bedsides and flattening them against the inners /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    do you have any pics of the floor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve , and everyone intrested , I added some pics to my webshots . Link in sig . Will be 30 minutes before webshots updates take effect /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks like a good prodject. Maybe narrow it front and rear.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

HEY I HAVE THAT RADIO TOO /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I like the floors in there /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    looks like a good project /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No moon buggies! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No moon buggies! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    No moon buggies!

[/ QUOTE ]

It wont look like a moon buggy . Gonna continue the restification of my pretty 83 . This project one is going to have a cage , boatsiding , trimming , probably some narrowing . But I am going to run the dash and pad , heater for feet in winter , and a radio with 2 6x9's . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif