Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Question-----"high flow" air filter for a 6.2L?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 27, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

New Question-----\"high flow\" air filter for a 6.2L?

I work at a Chevy Dealership in the parts department. While helping to go over a lot of the OLD parts we have (generators anyone?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif) I came across an AC Delco air filter for the 6.2L trucks and the older 350 Olds Diesel cars. Part number is A644C, box says it's a replacement for the FRAM CA3492. Anyways, the thing is a regular paper air filter, but it has this foam prefilter around it. It's still in the plastic bag, so I know it's supposed to be like this. Were they all like this? Is this something special?

I'm just curious. I figure I'll just set it aside and throw it in when I get my diesel K5 in a month or so. Save up for a better filter then.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Re: Dumb AC Delco air filter question...........just curious

Well, all the CUCV airfilters have the foam "pre-filter" on them. Good insurance if you run off-road. Diesels pass more air than any gasser.

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Re: Dumb AC Delco air filter question...........just curious

Advance Auto carries the air filter with the foam prefilter. I don't remember the part number offhand, but it's in their Purolator line. I think it's around $5.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Re: New Question-----\"high flow\" air filter for a 6.2L?

Okay, so the one I have works for a new filter when I get the truck.

So what's the favorite "high flow" air filter of the 6.2L guys? I've always been a fan of K&N filters, but have been hearing bad things about them in regards to letting fine dust through lately.
    Amsoil?
    Anything else?

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

The problem of K&N filter is that it leaves through fine sand mixed with oil. That provides for high wear off the intake valves and also in the cylinders. In order to compensate that,
    you must clean very often the filter. Undisputed is the advantage of the better air flow, particularly with the Diesel.

How would it be with a modified air cleaner housing? A second opening on the left side helps already much.

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I run a K&N filter, a K&N foam filter on the out side of it, and sealed up with air filter grease/sealer. Some people swear buy the Amsoil filter over on the Dieselpage.com. My set up seems to work good, it get the foam gets really dirty where the snorkel comes into the filter but it does not get to the inner filter. I think this system is better than the amsoil set up but maybe more expensive.
    hope this helps.
    Cheers, rugger

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Where do you get the Amsoil filter's from, any parts stores or is it special order only?

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status