Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New question/problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by azjimmy, Dec 14, 2000.

1. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

It seems that I don't have 4-Hi, or at least I can't get the t-case to engage it (NP203/PT), if all the way towards the console is 4-Hi then mine won't go in, but I have every thing else, 2-Hi, 2-Lo, and 4-Lo. Any ideas? Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]

2. Beast

Beast Registered Member

Yes, all the way towards the consol (seats) is 4H, so if it is not going in check to see if your linkage is loose. The shifter attaches at the T-case to a shaft that the nut sometimes get loose on and may cause poor engagement or control.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Also, check the clearance between your shifter and the edge of the floor cut-out, especially if to have a body lift. Your shifter might be against the edge of the floor, and cant go any further. This happened on my friends truck, and we were sh!tting ourselves, cause we couldnt figure out why it wouldnt shift into gear. turns out we just had to trim a litle sheet metal.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thats strange. For you to get 4 low that linkage has to move in the same direction. My guess is a bunch of crud in the shifter. I would pull the shifter out and clean it and see if that helps. On both my 75 and 79 I had problems where they would pop out of low 4 and cleaning the shifter seemed to take care of the problem. Another thing to check is put it as close to 4 high as you can get it and look under the trucks and see if it is getting interference from anything. Body lifts often cause issues like this.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, but I finally got it to engage today! I just gave a quick jerk and it clunked right in, but I am going to look into the loose linkage and crud issue because I would definitely not want this to be a problem when I'm in the middle of the desert or on woodpecker or ajax. Thanks for the tips guys! Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]