Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New R&P ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Mar 18, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I bought a used ring and pinion today, but the pinion came already in the pinion assembly. Does this mean I won't need to set pinion preload? That was something I was afraid of (I'm only 16 and this is my first R&P install). Also where can I get a dial indicator- the tool to check backlash with.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm assuming your talking about for a 14BFF. You may not need to "set" pinion preload, but I sure would check to see if it is correct or not. To check for the correct preload you are going to need a inch pound torque meter. You can usually buy a dial indicator from a good hardware store, you will also need to buy some kind of magnetic base to hold it. The torque meter you may have to buy from a tool truck or a better tool supply house.

3. BowtieRed

yes, I am talking about 14FF. also, i'll ask and search more on this later, but what all is involved in setting backlash? What direction to you measure backlash in? left to right- tire to tire, or front to back- hood to rearend? that may sound stupid if my understanding of backlash is wrong.

4. BowtieRed

help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    I'm removing the old gears today and am using the write-up in the tech section as a guide- any pieces of advice that it dosen't include?

5. BowtieRed

i hate rain. . .

6. BowtieRed

ok- how does the carrier come out!?

7. BowtieRed

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif