Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Radiator - A few questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Aug 27, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

Got a new Go/Dan HeatBuster 4-Core radiator part # 436016 today. It fits with the stock brackets, transmission lines, hoses etc are a perfect fit.

A few questions.

1) the radiator came with a plastic plug in the petcock fitting, it looks like it could be used instead of the brass petcock from the old radiator. The brass one only threads in about a turn and then gets a lot of resistance. I think it is the right threads, but I am scared of messing up the threads in the radiator, so I havent turned it any further. So I got a new petcock from NAPA thinking maybe the threads on the old one are distorted, it only threads in about a turn also. Is this correct, should I just turn it hard ??? Or should I just use the plastic plug in it. Any body that has a GO/Dan radiator let me know what your experience has been.

Also there is a problem with the stock shroud, it will need to be trimmed to fit flush up against the mounting brackets.

If I just used longer bolts it would sit back about a half inch into the engine compartment. With a half inch gap along the top, and I think on the bottom. What should I do, trim it - or just see if it works with longer bolts ???

I really need to know what to do about the petcock.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

the drain cocks on those have an NPT thread so yes they should get tighter and tighter...I might go buy a NPT tap and run the tap through the rad. threads...

Chris

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Pick up a pipe tap 1/4" NPT.

and just run in enough to clean the thread's, if You go to far with it, the draincock will never tighten up. [leak] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trim the shroud a little till it fit's close, if it too far away, the fan won't pull air through the radiator well.