Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new radiator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJC, Mar 25, 2000.

1. AJC

AJC Newbie

I am replacing my radiator on a 85k5 I am also replacing all the hoses getting ready for summer. Can I get a more efficient fan type? What about removing the Fan clutch? Will this also help to keep my rig cooler when towing a trailer? I just bought thisd rig and this is my first project. i want to make sure I do it right from the beginning. thanks for any help AL
    "Measure twice cut once"

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Redline sells a product called "Water Wetter". Hot rodders have used it for years. It makes the coolant transfer heat more efficiently. IT WORKS!![​IMG] I use it in my wife's car in the summer, and I'll be using it in my 87 K5, too. Don't leave it in for the winter, though. It'll never warm up! You can get the stuff at Pep Boys, and probably other parts places too. There are other products that supposedly do this, but Water Wetter is what I've used personally, so that's what I recommend.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'd leave the Fan Clutch alone. If you're going to do a lot of towing, I see a lot of people recommending a tranny oil cooler. Makes sense to keep fluid from getting too hot & breaking down but you do have to be careful because it does need a certain amount of heat.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. AJC

AJC Newbie

thanks for the advice I finished the install leaving the fan clutch and adding the wetting agent. AL

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Well you can always add an electric fan to help flow through the radiator.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral